Latin American Caribbean Scholarship
This scholarship program has been developed to provide scholarships to international students from designated Latin American and Caribbean countries or territories that would then allow FGCU to classify these recipients as special residents for tuition and fee purposes; in accordance with Section 1009.21 (10)(e) Florida Statutes.
Criteria for Awards
- Students must submit the application to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by the published deadline.
- Students must be admitted as an undergraduate degree seeking student.
- Students must maintain full-time enrollment status, 12 hours for the spring and fall semesters and 9 hours for the summer semester.
- Students who are enrolled as distance learning only are not eligible for this program.
- Students must be approved to study in the United States with an F-1 Visa, except for students from Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
- The student must be a citizen or legal resident of one of the countries or territories listed in Appendix I (below).
- Students must satisfy one of the following:
- GPA of 3.4 or
- SAT of 1560 or
- ACT of 23 or
- Students who have demonstrated special talents, for example, in fields such as music or fine arts.
- The scholarship award will be for $250 per term. Normally the award will be for the fall and spring terms only. Summer awards may be considered depending on fund availability.
- Once awarded, the student will be classified as a special in-state resident for tuition purposes and will be charged the standard in-state tuition rate.
- Scholarships must be awarded for each and every semester in order for the student to qualify for in-state residency.
- The scholarship will continue until such time as the student has earned or attempted the requisite number of credit hours for his or her designated degree program. Changing degree programs and or taking excess hours not counting towards a degree program may disqualify the student from this scholarship.
Criteria for Renewal
- Students must maintain their full-time status for each term of award and must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for the award to be continued. Students who graduate and subsequently enter a new degree program must re-apply for the scholarship.
- Students who lose their scholarship for any reason will revert to out-of-state resident for tuition purposes classification.
- All recipients will be reviewed each semester for renewal eligibility.
- Each scholarship recipient will be sent a letter detailing the award and under which conditions it will be applied and renewed.
Please complete the Latin American Caribbean Scholarship application and return to:
Office of Admissions
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd. South
Fort Myers, FL 33965-6565
Students must be citizens of one of the following listed countries:
|Antigua & Barbuda
||Netherlands Antilles (Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao
|British Virgin Islands
||St. Kitts and Nevis
||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
||Trinidad and Tobago
||Turks and Caicos Islands
||US Virgin Islands
|Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
For additional information about LAC, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.