User Knowledge Base
Telephone & Fax
Functional Area Support
- Assist with moving, deleting, archiving and organizing emails.
Microsoft Office for Home Use
- Provide Faculty/Staff with a personal copy of Microsoft Office Professional at no charge to them.
- Assist with and troubleshoot connecting to MyVPN website and configuring access to office computer from off campus.
- We offer discounts on software through different manufactures including Microsoft, Dell, and Apple.
University Software Installation and Support
- We install and provide assistance with programs approved for use by the university (i.e. Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader).
- Buisness Technology Services also hosts, and provides a wide varity of applications used by all members of the university. Some of these systems support day to day operations of the university, or assist facult and students with pursiuing their academic goals.
Virus Protection and Removal
- We provide anti-virus software that protects against and removes viruses.
Banner Reporting (Cognos)
- Support and provide custom system reports for university systems.
- Assist with recovering data that has been deleted or lost due to hardware failure.
- All university systems are backed up on a constant basis to cover against the unexpected. File servers are backed up nightly, as are the faculty/staff email system, and the student information systems.
- Business Technology Services (BTS) backs up electronic mail for the purpose of restoring the entire electronic mail system in the event of a disaster. Backup tapes/disks are retained for a period of one month and cannot be used as a convenience to retrieve “Deleted” messages. While in some cases it may be possible to recover from the accidental deletion of files by a user, this is generally not feasible, and therefore users are responsible for backing up individual messages and folders as appropriate.
- Facilitate transfer of user data to and from computers.
- We securely and thoroughly delete all data on computers marked for disposal.
Data Installation Services
- While all buildings come with much preinstalled data wiring, sometimes it is not where it should be. Buisness Technology Services offers services to have additional data ports for phones/printers or computers installed in a location of your choice. Please contact us at 239-590-1188 if you have any request for additional data wiring.
- Work with user to assist them in changing passwords and resetting them.
- Assistance in Mapping Network Drives for user access and troubleshooting access issues.
- Troubleshoot network connectivity issues that users may have with connecting to the network either wired or wireless.
- Maintains FGCUs Internet connections
- The growth of Florida Gulf Coast University has opened opportunities in offsite locations for the university. Buisness Technology Services makes sure that all remote users have the same reliable computing experience as our on campus users
Get Secure Campaign
- A seminar that educates users on staying safe while using a computer and best practices.
- The User Knowledgebase to search an ever growing library of documentation for users to troubleshoot common computer problems and complete simple tasks on their own. This library is a SharePoint library that is updated by Computing Service. To learn how to optimize the use of this library read Use the User Knowledgebase.
Microsoft Office Trainings
- FGCU’s Business Technoogy Services is offering Microsoft Office Training Classes. For more information please visit the Training site here
- Provide Banner navigation training for campus use via online Angel Course
Hardware Repairs on University Machines
- Facilitate repairs on university machines on campus
End of Life Computer Disposal
- We Dispose of machines that are at the end of life
Hardware Purchasing Guidence
- Assistance with any recommendations for Hardware based on users’ needs
Custom Hardware Configurations
- Offer solutions to Custom configure hardware based on user’s needs.
Mobile Device Support
- Assistance with users mobile devices and configuring email to work with them
New Device Installation
- Assistance in Installation of Items such as Printers, monitors, and other devices.
- Buisness Technology Services provides file and print services to all faculty and staff users. File services are hosted on various different servers providing departments with space to share their work within their own department and also with others. All file shares are backed up on a regular basis (see backup and disaster recovery)
Computer moves( Breakdown and Set up)
- Assistance when faculty or staff is moving with Breaking down and Setting back up computer to be operational for user
- We offer discounts of hardware through different manufactures
Loaner Computers for Serviced Machines
- Offer checkout laptops for users when their office machine is being serviced
Computer Standards for University Desktops and Laptops
- Define what the university standards are for machines on the network and post for users to see
- Online faxing, or
- Conventional paper-based faxing.
Online faxing is secure, easy to use, and does not require paper, toner cartridges, or maintenance. A description of how online faxing works can be found here.
University Supplied Cell Phones
Offer Functional support in the following areas:
Student Financial Services