LEED Certification of Academic Building 7 (AB7)
As a key element in Florida Gulf Coast University’s signing of the American College and University’s Presidents’ Climate Commitment, all of our buildings will be certified through the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification system. The purpose of this system is to have external verification that our buildings are designed and built to save energy, increase water efficiency, reduce CO2 emissions, improve indoor air quality, and demonstrate stewardship of resources.
Recycling and Re-use of Materials
- More than 75% of the construction waste for this building was recycled instead of being sent to a landfill.
- More than 20% of the materials used in the construction of this building contain recycled content.
- At least 20% of the materials for the building construction were manufactured within 500 miles of the building.
- AB7 is less than one-quarter mile walking distance from a bus line stop and has easy access to other university facilities.
- Showers and changing rooms are provided to encourage bicycling to campus.
Energy, Water Usage, and Efficiency
- High performance reflective metal roof and shade overhangs reduce potential heat island formation.
- No refrigerants that are harmful to the ozone layer are used in the building.
- High efficiency bathroom fixtures (e.g. toilets, sinks, showers) reduce water usage, saving over 100,000 gallons of water compared to traditional fixtures.
Lighting and Comfort
- Specialized light fixtures outside the building reduce glare and night sky pollution.
- Electronic systems in the building measure indoor humidity levels and adjust air conditioning systems for humidity control.
- Task lights are provided at over 90% of the work stations.
- Shared classroom environments have multiple lighting controls to allow users to tailor lighting levels for specific uses and conserve energy.
- The building is maintained with green house keeping products.
Contact: Donna Henry, Dean, College of Arts and Sciences - Phone: 239-590-7156 or Email: email@example.com