Policies & Degree Requirements - CAS
Please print and sign the Policies and Degree Requirements document and bring it with you to your meeting with an Academic Advisor.
To schedule an appointment, please call 590-7196.
Policies and Degree Requirements
- Complete all of the university’s general education requirements.
- Complete the requirements for the Computation and Communication Skills requirement (a “C” or better in 12 semester credits of writing intensive courses; and a “C” or better in 6 semester credits of math classes at the level of College Algebra or above).
- Meet the university’s foreign language requirement. If the student has not completed two years of the same foreign language at the high school level, he or she must complete 8 credit hours of the same foreign language (including American Sign Language) at the collegiate level.
- Complete the “Service Learning Requirement”. Eighty hours are required for students officially admitted as either freshmen or sophomores; forty hours are required for students admitted as juniors or seniors (i.e. anyone admitted with 60 or more transfer credit hours).
- Complete course work in a chosen major with a minimum grade of C in each course (including the common prerequisites, required courses in the major, and electives in the major).
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all course work attempted at FGCU. A student may apply a maximum of 27 hours of business courses toward a non-business degree to reach the total 120 hours required to graduate. This regulation complies with the accreditation standards for Lutgert College of Business.
- Thirty (30) of the last 60 credit hours must be earned at FGCU to receive a baccalaureate degree from FGCU. Music majors must earn 32 of the last 60 credit hours at FGCU to receive a baccalaureate degree from FGCU.
- Complete IDS 3920 University Colloquium.
- Any courses taken at another institution while the student is enrolled at FGCU must be approved in advance in writing by a College of Arts and Sciences academic advisor.
- Earn a minimum of 48 credit hours in upper division courses (those numbered 3000 to 4999).
- All students entering FGCU with fewer than 60 credit hours are required to earn at least 9 semester credit hours prior to graduation by attending one or more summer sessions at a State University System member institution in Florida.
- Applications to graduate must be submitted via Gulfline in the term of expected graduation by the deadline noted in the academic calendar.
- A student enrolled in the same undergraduate course more than twice will be assessed an additional per credit hour fee. See current catalog for details and penalties.
- The 2009 State Legislature enacted a student charge for excess hours. For students enrolling in a State University for the first time in or after the Fall 2009 semester, a tuition rate surcharge will be applied for credit hours that exceed 120% of the completion requirements for the chosen degree program. The surcharge will apply to all “excess hours” and will amount to 50% of the tuition rate. For a program that requires 120 credit hours to graduate, all hours that exceed 144 would count as excess. In 2011 the Legislature modified the statute and changed the threshold to 115% and a surcharge of 100% of the tuition rate for students entering in Fall 2011 and later. For a program that requires 120 credit hours to graduate, all hours that exceed 138 (115% of 120) would count as excess.