skip navigation

Florida Gulf Coast University

Website Directory  

Public Administration (M.P.A.)

Admission Information


Getting Started

Please visit the Office of Graduate Studies website or contact Graduate Studies at 239-590-7988 or for an application for admission and additional information about the application process. Satisfaction of minimum University and program requirements does not guarantee admission to a graduate program. Applicants should check with the program for the most up to date admission requirements prior to commencing the application process.

Note: The minimum GRE entrance exam scores listed below are for the GRE taken prior to August 1, 2011. Minimum scores are not yet available for the Revised GRE (taken after August 1, 2011).

Download the Division of Public Affairs supplemental application.

Download the rating form.


Program Admission Requirements

Applicants for admission to the MPA program are expected to meet or exceed the following requirements:

  1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning;
  2. Either Completion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) within the last five years, or an earned graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
  3. One of the following:
    • (Average of percentile rankings on GRE verbal reasoning section and quantitative reasoning section) + (GPA for the last 60 semester hours attempted at the upper-division undergraduate level X 18) must equal or exceed 100; or
    • (MAT percentile rank for intended major) + (GPA for the last 60 semester hours attempted at the upper division undergraduate level X 18) must equal or exceed 100; or
    • An earned graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
  4. Completion of 15 hours of undergraduate coursework in the social sciences or business, including 3 hours in quantitative skills;
  5. International applicants for whom English is a second language are required to submit a score of 550 or higher on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Required application materials consist of the following:
  1. A complete FGCU Graduate Application;
  2. One official transcript from each baccalaureate and/or graduate institution attended;
  3. One official copy of test scores from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Miller Analogy Test (MAT) taken within the last five years;
  4. A complete Division of Public Affairs Supplemental Application Form;
  5. Three completed reference rating forms/letters of recommendation from persons qualified to judge the applicant's academic and professional potential;
  6. An Immunization History Form;
  7. A Letter of Application/Statement of Career Goals, no more than two pages in length, that briefly discusses any or all of the following: the influences that led you to the selection of FGCU's MPA Program, career goals, relevant work and/or academic experience, and volunteer activity in the community.

Special Note for Prospective Distance MPA Applicants

Students who have less than one year of full-time professional work experience in the public or not-for-profit sectors will be required to complete the MPA program's core courses (with the exception of PAD 6961, Capstone Project) by attending two to four classes conducted on the FGCU campus. These courses will be offered during the evening or on weekends. Check the course schedule on Gulfline for the times and dates of the on-campus classes. These students also must complete a 3-credit MPA internship (PAD 6940). The MPA Admissions Committee will determine whether or not an applicant's work experience satisfies these requirements.


Following admission to the program, all MPA students are assigned a faculty advisor. The MPA faculty advisor assists students with individual academic program planning, selection of areas of concentration, and choice of electives. The student's MPA faculty advisor may also work jointly with other faculty in and outside the Division of Public Affairs on courses related to the student's concentration area. Students who wish to have a particular faculty member serve as their regular advisor may make this request with the division chair.