Please visit the Office of Graduate Studies website www.fgcu.edu/graduate or contact Graduate Studies at 239-590-7988 or firstname.lastname@example.org for an application for admission and additional information about the application process. Satisfaction of minimum University and program requirements does not guarantee admission to a graduate program. Applicants should check with the program for the most up to date admission requirements prior to commencing the application process.
Applicants for admission to the MPA program are expected to meet or exceed the following requirements:
Most of the MPA program’s courses are either exclusively or predominantly online courses. However, students who have less than one year of full-time professional work experience in the public or not-for-profit sectors at the time of admission into the program must complete several supplemental on-campus sessions in each of the MPA program's core courses. These supplemental sessions consist of two to four sessions scheduled in the evening or on Saturdays for each of the required core courses. Students who have less than one year of full-time professional work experience in the public or not-for-profit sectors at the time of admission also must complete a 3-credit MPA internship (PAD 6940). The MPA Admissions Committee will determine whether or not an applicant's work experience is sufficient to waive attendance at these on-campus sessions. All students must attend one Saturday session during their final semester, in order to deliver a formal oral presentation as part of their Capstone Seminar (PAD 6961).
Following admission to the program, all MPA students are assigned a faculty advisor. The MPA faculty advisor assists students with individual academic program planning, selection of areas of concentration, and choice of electives. The student's MPA faculty advisor may also work jointly with other faculty in and outside the Division of Public Affairs on courses related to the student's concentration area. Students who wish to have a particular faculty member serve as their regular advisor may make this request with the division chair.
FGCU’s MPA program periodically surveys its alumnae about their employment experiences after graduation. The most recent survey results (of MPA graduates from 2012-2013, six months after their graduation) are as follows:
In addition, the Florida Education and Training Placement Information Program (FETPIP) regularly collects post-graduation employment and continuing education data for its state universities and colleges. As evidenced by the most recent data (for 2011-2012 graduates), the post-graduation employment and continuing education rate of FGCU’s MPA graduates is above the statewide average for graduate programs in Public Administration.
The occupational and family circumstances of students in FGCU’s MPA program are highly diverse. While some of the program’s students have limited occupational and family responsibilities and can pursue their coursework full-time, many of our students have full-time jobs and family responsibilities and are limited to part-time coursework. We are sensitive to each student’s need to balance work, family, and school and to proceed through the program at a manageable pace. Students whose other responsibilities limit them to part-time coursework can take as little as one course per term, provided they complete their degree within seven years of having initiated their MPA coursework. This accommodation of students’ diverse scheduling needs is reflected in the program’s time-to-degree and graduation data. Among students admitted to the program in Academic Year 2008-2009, 23% completed their degree in a standard full-time-student timeframe (consisting of five Fall/Spring terms), and 48% completed their degree in an extended part-time-student timeframe, for an overall degree completion rate of 71% during this period.