skip navigation

Florida Gulf Coast University

Website Directory  

College of Health Professions and Social Work - Academic Advising

[ open ]
1. Who is my Academic Advisor?

If you have completed 24 or more college credits and your pre-major is within the College of Health Professions and Social Work you can locate the name of your Academic Advisor based on your last name:

Students with the Last Name Beginning with:

A-D: Silvia Guerrero, Academic Advisor, Marieb Hall 213G

E-L:  Lorie Hickox, Academic Advisor, Marieb Hall 213D

M-R: Maxine Faatz, Academic Advisor, Marieb Hall 213C

S-Z: Christina Jordan, Academic Advisor, Marieb Hall 213A

Special Population: Brendan Bevins, Academic Advisor, Marieb Hall 213B
Please Note:
Students with less than 12 earned credit hours are advised in First Year Advising. Please contact this office at 239-590-7875 or check with your Pre-Major Advisor for additional information.
[ open ]
2. How can I arrange to meet with my CHPSW Academic Advisor?

For Appointments Contact:

Sonnie Straw, CHPSW Advising Executive Secretary, (239) 590-7391 or by e-mail: (if requesting an appointment by email please provide a brief explanation for appoitment, best time of day and day of week, and a contact phone number). 


[ open ]
3. What is a limited access or selective access program in the College of Health Professions and Social Work?


All CHPSW majors are either Selective or Limited Access Programs.  Although students are initially accepted into FGCU as a pre-major for the program of their choice they must complete either a Supplemental Application or Declaration of Major Form to be considered for acceptance into the full-major.  All supplemental applications must be submitted by the specific departmental deadline, please visit the for links to the various departmental programs. 

A selective access major is one where a student must meet certain selection criteria to be considered for admission as a full major. In contrast, a limited access major is one where a student must meet certain selection criteria to be considered for admission as a full major, but there is a limit to the number of students that can be accommodated in the program. Therefore, in a limited access program some students who meet the selection criteria may not be admitted. Limited access program admissions are very competitive.

All General Education courses and Program Prerequisites, as well as other program-specific requirements, must be completed to be considered for acceptance into a Limited Access or Selective Access Program.

Please Note:
• The B.S.A.T in Athletic Training, B.S. in Clinical Laboratory Science, and B.S.N in Nursing, are Limited Access programs and require a Supplemental Application by a specific deadline.
• The B.S. in Health Science, the B.S. in Community Health, the B.S. in Exercise Science, and B.S.W Social Work, are all Selective Access, but still require a Supplemental Application or a Declaration of Major by a specific deadline.
[ open ]
4. How do I find a supplemental application?

You can access the Supplemental Applications by clicking on the major below:

Make sure to inquire as to the departments deadline date for Supplemental Applications and plan accordingly.  Supplemental Applications are not typically accepted after the deadline date.     

[ open ]
5. What is a degree program Fact Sheet?

A Fact Sheet is available for each degree program. This information lists the lower level common course prerequisites and the upper level coursework required for a given major.

[ open ]
6. I have a Fact Sheet. Is there anything else I need to know?

Yes! It is important to have all the information needed to graduate in the shortest possible time. There are requirements beyond coursework that you need to fulfill before you will be able to graduate. To help in this process, it is important to meet with your Advisor prior to scheduling classes each semester to ensure you are registering for the correct courses in the right sequence.

[ open ]
7. Where can I find the FGCU Catalog?

You can view the current catalog by visiting the following link: The catalog curriculum may be subject to change on an annual basis.

[ open ]
8. How should I select the classes I need to schedule each semester?

While a pre-major in CHPSW, you should select courses based on the following priorities: General Education Requirements and Common Course Prerequisites for your major.

[ open ]
9. How do I take a course at another institution and have the credits count toward my degree?

It is important that the course you wish to take at another institution fulfills a requirement for your FGCU degree.

Florida Institutions:

Out-of-State Institutions:

Transient Student Form must be completed and signed by your Advisor and the Registrar. Please do not schedule a course at another institution before completing your electronic transient form. This form is your guarantee that the course completed elsewhere will meet a requirement here at FGCU.

[ open ]
10. What If I want to take courses at FGCU, but graduating from another institution?

You need to follow the requirements of the institution granting the degree. Please contact your advisor at the institution you are attending. 

[ open ]
11. May I take more than 18 credit hours during one semester?

Only with an Advisor’s approval and if there are extenuating circumstances. Please see your CHPSW Advisor for additional information.

[ open ]
12. I want to take a class that is closed. What do I do?

Advisors cannot permit students into closed sections. Generally, students need to contact the college in which the closed section is offered. For example, if College Algebra MAC 1105 is the course you are trying to register for, you would contact the College of Arts & Science.

[ open ]
13. I cannot register because there is a hold on my record. What do I do?

Check your Gulfline account to determine the source of the hold, contacting the appropriate FGCU office in regards to havingthe hold removed.  Advisors cannot over-ride holds from another office to schedule students in classes. Please check holds in advance of registering for courses as holds may prevent you from registering.

[ open ]
14. When should I register for classes?

On the first day of your Priority Eagle Registration date for web registration. This will give you the best chance of registering or waitlisting for the courses you want at the times you want them. You can change your registration via Gulfline at any time until the end of the drop/add period at the end of the first week of classes. Please meet with your CHPSW Advisor to discuss the classes you plan to schedule and if you want to make any changes to your schedule.

[ open ]
15. Do I need a “C” or higher in the courses in my major?

You must earn a “C” or higher (a grade of "C-" is not acceptable) in the following:

  • Communication and Computation Skills courses
  • Common course prerequisites for your major
  • Courses in your major
[ open ]
16. When can I use a Grade Forgiveness Form?

Students may repeat a course and exclude a previous course grade from their FGCU grade point average calculations effective fall 2000. Undergraduate degree and non-degree students are eligible by meeting the following:

  • Original grade of C- or lower has been recorded on the academic record.
  • The repeated grade must be higher than the original grade.
  • Only the repeated course grade will be used in the computation of the institutional GPA.
  • The original course was taken at FGCU and the original grade was received fall 2000 or subsequent terms.
  • The repeat course was taken at FGCU subsequent to Fall 2000.
  • The repeat course was taken under the same grading system (A-F or S/U) as the original. S/U graded courses are not permitted to repeat as A-F or vice versa.
  • An application for grade forgiveness should be filed no later than date stated in the Academic Calendar for the semester the student wishes the benefit in their institutional GPA. Students are encouraged to apply for grade forgiveness upon completion of the repeat course.
  • In the case of university error, supporting documentation from the appropriate college must be attached to the form. Errors discovered after the degree is awarded must be reviewed by the College Dean and Academic Affairs for special exception. Otherwise, grade forgiveness will not be applied after a degree or certificate has been awarded.

Please see catalog for more information. 

[ open ]
17. What if I need additional help in a class?

You can contact the Center for Academic Achievement at 239-590-7906 for tutoring and/or Supplemental Instruction (SI). You can also visit the center in The Library #103.

[ open ]
18. Can I complete my Associates of Arts (AA) degree while working on my B.S. Degree?

Yes, once you have completed the required General Education Courses, Communication and Computation Skills (formerly Gordon Rule), and a total of 60 credit hours, you can file an AA application with your CHP Advisor. This form can be obtained at the Registrar’s Office or on-line at