Section 508 Website Accessibility

Certain documents on this site are available as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. PDF content requires Adobe's Acrobat Reader and can be downloaded by visiting

The University encourages anyone needing assistance in accessing content found on the University's website to contact the FGCU office or department that maintains the webpage. For an accessible version of PDF material, please contact FGCU Adaptive Services at or by calling 239 590-7956.

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Clinical Mental Health Counseling M.A.

Clinical Mental Health Counseling M.A.

Program FAQ

[ open ]
When is the Counseling Application Package for the upcoming academic year generally available?

Generally, application packets are available on the FGCU Graduate Admission website and students are encouraged to apply as early as possible before the priority deadline of February 15 to ensure maximum consideration for admission and financial support opportunities.

[ open ]
What is the deadline for submitting an application for admission to the Counseling Programs?

The deadline for submitted an application is February 15th of each year although students are encouraged to start early. Applications will be considered for admission on a space available basis to qualified applicants beyond the deadline.

[ open ]
Where should I submit my application materials?

Application materials must be submitted to the FGCU Office of Graduate Studies.

[ open ]
What happens if I submit my complete application before the February 15th deadline?

Applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee and interviews are scheduled between February 15th and March 15th. Initial notices of acceptance, deferred decisions or denial of admission are mailed by the first week in April.

[ open ]
What are the minimum academic admission requirements?
  • A four year undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Any one of the following:
    1. a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 semester hours attempted accruing to the undergraduate degree; or
    2. a combined score of 1000 or higher on the quantitative and verbal sections of the GRE exam if taken before August 1st, 2011; or a score of 151-153 on verbal and 143-144 on quantitative if taken on or after August 1st, 2011; or
  • 400 or higher on the MAT
    Note: All applicants must submit GPA and graduate admission (GRE or MAT) test scores regardless of which of the above criteria are met for admissions.
  • Submission of three favorable recommendations from professionals in the field.
  • Submission of a written statement of career goals will be reviewed for admission..
  • Participation in a personal interview is required. Responses to the interview will be evaluated for admission.
  • Performance in courses taken post baccalaureate will be taken into consideration for admission to the Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program.
  • Counseling Criminal Record Policy Statement: All applicants are advised that in order to complete the program, they must complete internships. Most internship facilities do background checks and will not permit the placement of counselor interns with criminal records. The Department reserves the right to deny program admission to any applicant if it appears that applicant is unlikely to be able to complete the internship requirement due to a criminal record, thus inhibiting their ability to complete the program.

NOTE: Students should note that the program limits admission to the most qualified students based on admissions criteria and based on class and field experience capacities.

[ open ]
Are there any graduate entrance test required for admission? If so, is there a minimum score required?

Yes, all applicants must submit graduate admission (GRE or MAT) test scores as well as all transcripts of higher education to date. If applicants have not achieved at least a 3.0 in the last 60 hours of the undergraduate degree or earned a master's degree from a regionally accredited institution, a combined score of 1000 or higher on the quantitative and verbal sections of the GRE exam if taken before August 1st, 2011; or a score of 151-153 on verbal and 143-144 on quantitative if taken on or after August 1st, 2011; or 400 or higher on the MAT.

[ open ]
Does FGCU need transcripts from every university/college previously attended if the credits were posted on the transcript where I earned my bachelor's degree?

YES. FGCU requires transcripts from all institutions previously attended even if the credits were articulated on another transcript. However, if you previously transferred from another institution to FGCU to complete your bachelor's degree, you will not typically need to request transcripts again from your previous schools, because they may already be on file at FGCU.

[ open ]
Do I need to request my transcripts from FGCU, if I am a previous (or current) FGCU student?

NO. You will not need to request transcripts from FGCU.

[ open ]
Do I need to pay the graduate application fee, if I am a previous (or current) FGCU student?


[ open ]
Do I need to submit immunization records again, if I am a previous (or current) FGCU student?


[ open ]
I don't have a copy of my immunization record, what can I do to satisfy the requirements?

You can have the immunizations done again or have a titer test done which will determine if you have been immunized. Also consider contacting your alma mater as that institution may have required immunizations and be willing to fax the record to us. Immunizations and titer tests can be done by your physician, community health departments, or by Student Health Services ( ) on our campus.

[ open ]
From whom should I request references?

Recommendations should be completed by professors, supervisors, colleagues, or other individuals who know you on a professional basis. Specifically we are looking for information about your potential as a professional in the field and as a graduate student. Family members or personal friends should not be asked to provide a reference.

[ open ]
I have a master's degree in a related field; can any of those courses be applied toward credit in the Counseling program?

Any courses that applied toward another degree cannot be used for credit toward the MA/MEd. However, graduate level courses not credited toward another degree could be petitioned for consideration to fulfill credit requirements subject to a transfer limit of 12 hours

[ open ]
When will I be notified of a decision about my application?

Applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee between February 15 and March 15. Notices of acceptance or denial of admission are mailed during the first week in April.

Qualified students who miss the priority application deadline of February 15 will have their applications reviewed and may be admitted after the April 15 deadline on a space available basis.

[ open ]
If admitted, what courses will I take?

All students complete a plan of study during the admissions interview.  First term courses vary depending upon program and upon whether a student has elected to enroll in the two or three year program.  Students in the two year program do not work full time.

[ open ]
If admitted, when will I begin the field placement process?

Field placements for all full-time students begin in the spring semester after entry to the program with the Practicum course.

[ open ]
Can prior counseling work-related employment experience be applied toward fulfilling field education credit in the MA program?

NO. Previous experience working in the field cannot be applied toward fulfillment of field education credit in the MA/MEd program. However, prior related experience is considered in the admission process.

[ open ]
May I use my current job as a field placement?

Employment-Based Field Placements may be possible, but ONLY IF specific criteria are met. These criteria are described in the Graduate Internship Candidate & Site Supervisor's Manual.

[ open ]
Is there financial aid available?

For information about available forms of financial aid visit the following websites:


[ open ]
What is a graduate assistantship (GA) and how do I get one?

Graduate assistantships are part-time hourly-waged or stipend employment opportunities for graduate students. They are available through academic departments and administrative units within the University. To find out if there are any assistantships available in the Counseling Department, contact the program directly. To find out about available positions in other departments on campus, contact Career Development Services at 239.590.7946

[ open ]
What is a graduate tuition waiver and how do I apply for one?

Each of FGCU's colleges is allocated tuition waiver funds that can be awarded based on need, academic promise, program goals, and available funds. A tuition waiver may cover the matriculation fees. The student is responsible for state and local fees usually totaling about $50 per credit hour. If approved, your waiver will be posted to your account through the Financial Aid and Scholarship office just prior to the start of the semester.

  •  Students may download an application from the following webpage:  and click on the "Graduate Tuition Waiver Application" link. Complete the application and submit it to the Graduate Studies office prior to the posted deadline.Clinical Mental Health Counseling
  • The Counseling Department asks for supplemental information, see the ____________Page for more information. Students must make certain that they meet all application requirements and deadlines.
[ open ]
Are there scholarships available for graduate students?

There are few scholarships, if any. At times, however, outside organizations will communicate scholarship opportunities directly to the University and/or program representatives. Check with the Office of Financial Aid.

[ open ]
Can courses taken as a non-degree seeking student be applied towards my master's degree in Counseling if admitted?

YES. In unusual cases students have credits as a post-baccalaureate non-degree seeking students. They must have earned a grade of B or higher and request that they be applied toward fulfilling course credit requirements for the MA/MEd degree

[ open ]
Is attendance at the New Student orientation mandatory?

Yes, the New Student Orientation is delivered during the first semester in the program.