Whitaker Center Advisory Board Meets Wednesday through Friday
FORT MYERS, FL - The Florida Gulf Coast University Whitaker Center for Science, Mathematics and Technology Education advisory board conducts a meeting Wednesday through Friday, Feb. 16-18 in the Student Union Ballroom. The program each day begins at 8:30 a.m.
Agenda items include:
1. History of the Whitaker Center
2. Overview of Whitaker Center Activities
3. Whitaker Center Advisory Board Briefing with Whitaker Center Directors
4. Whitaker Center Vision and Mission Review and Feedback
5. Tour of Facilities
6. Overview of Whitaker Center Goals and Concept of Offices
7. Role of Whitaker Center at FGCU
8. Faculty and Student Seminars with Advisory Board Members
Advisory board members include:
· Donna F. Berlin, professor of Mathematics Education, The Ohio State University
· Sean P. Brophy, assistant research professor of Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University
· Melvin D. George, professor emeritus of Mathematics, University of Missouri
· Ruth Whitaker Holmes, The Whitaker Foundation
· Jeanne L. Narum, director, Project Kaleidoscope
· Captain Winston Scott, executive director, Florida Space Authority
· Joseph Stepans, professor of Science Education, University of Wyoming
The vision of the FGCU Whitaker Center is to aspire to be a national leader in science, mathematics and technology education reform through teaching, learning and research efforts that encourage interdisciplinary, innovative and collaborative approaches.
In addition, the Whitaker Center sees its mission as one to foster reform in science and mathematics education through the use of innovative research tools and technologies, and pedagogical methods. The Whitaker Center enhances and expands learning experiences, and stimulates interest and pursuit of quantitative science and math for the 21st century.
For more information, contact director of the Whitaker Center Donna Price Henry at (239) 590-7158.