FGCU Hosting the Charlotte-Collier-Lee (CCL) VISTA Consortium
FORT MYERS, FL - The Corporation for National and Community Service is placing 17 Americorps VISTA members with nine local agencies. The Americorps VISTA program is often called our domestic Peace Corps, and members are involved in building new programs or expanding capacity for agencies that address poverty issues.
FGCU is the hosting sponsor of the CCL VISTA Consortium.
Agencies in Charlotte County include:
· Boys and Girls Clubs (4 - activities and resource development specialists)
· Interfaith/Interagency Network (1 - media relations/grant writer)
· Senior Friendship Centers/RSVP (1 - volunteer recruiter/trainer for tutoring/mentoring programs)
· Senior Friendship Center/Nutrition Program (1 - program developer in underserved areas); in Collier County the Hunger and Homeless Coalition (1 - program developer); and Lee County the Dr. Piper Center for Social Services (1 - program developer)
· Florida Gulf Coast University (4 - youth service leadership development programmer, service-learning project development, virtual volunteer center development, and bilingual tutoring program development);
· Friendship Volunteer Center (1 - develop youth volunteer program)
· Healthy Start Southwest Florida (3 - programmers to expand programs)
VISTA members receive a small living allowance each month, health insurance, and a $4,725 educational benefit or a $1,200 stipend at the end of their year of service. Before beginning work, VISTA members attend a Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) in Atlanta prior to beginning work. All travel, housing, and meal expenses are paid by the Corporation.
Deadline to apply and be cleared for the next PSO is March 12. Applications and more information are available on line at www.cns.gov
For more information, contact director of Academic Support Services, Linda Summers at (239) 590-7016 or firstname.lastname@example.org