The FGCU Student Video Contest Offers $15,000 in Prizes
As an Eagle, you see firsthand how Florida Gulf Coast University is dedicated to making a difference in the lives of its students and in the Southwest Florida community. Here’s your chance to show everyone how -- and possibly win prize money for your artistic eye!
Showcase your school pride and your genius camera moves by producing a short film and entering it in the FGCU Student Video Contest. The competition is being held to spotlight student talent and to yield videos that can be used for marketing and fundraising purposes.
Choose one of the categories below and create a video that shows the world what’s important to FGCU and its students.
The FGCU Student Video Contest is open to all enrolled Florida Gulf Coast University students.
Five $2,000 First Place Prizes (1 for each of 5 categories)
Five $1,000 Second Place Prizes (1 for each of 5 categories)
- Academic Excellence: How does FGCU provide the highest-quality education in and beyond the classroom?
- Impact of Scholarships: How do scholarships make a difference in the lives of FGCU students?
- Athletics: How are athletic programs a vital part of FGCU?
- Impact on the Region: How does FGCU make a positive impact on Southwest Florida (e.g. economy, education, culture)?
- Student Success: It means more than passing classes. How does FGCU support students throughout their collegiate career?
*FGCU reserves the right to combine categories if there are not a minimum of five entries in a specific category. In the case of a combined category, one first and one second prize will be awarded.
- Print and complete a Video Contest Entry Form.
- Submit a completed Entry/Release & Consent Form, Actor/Participant Release & Consent Form (if applicable) and a labeled movie disc or USB by 5 p.m. on Monday, March 31, 2014, to Timothy Clark, Campus Support Complex Rm. 122. Questions can be addressed to Tim at firstname.lastname@example.org or (239) 590-7397.
All entries must:
- Run no longer than four (4) minutes.
- Include at least one clear visual or audio mention of Florida Gulf Coast University.
- Be suitable for use as promotional material for FGCU (no profanity, violence, defamatory statements, nudity; no violation of the privacy of any person or entity). Any inappropriate material makes the video ineligible for consideration.
- Be positive in tone and position FGCU in the most favorable way.
- Be no more than 700MB in size.
- Have a resolution of at least 720x480.
- Have no copyright violations (slogans, music or images). Music must be original, in the public domain, or you must have written permission to use. Use of copyrighted music without written permission is not permitted. You must provide proof of permission (or that the music is in the public domain) along with your entry form.
- Be created by current FGCU students. Videos can be produced by an individual or a team of up to 10 people, although the prizes are awarded per video, not by team member.
- Be submitted on a labeled disc or USB stick in Quicktime .mov or Windows .avi file format.
- Be submitted by the deadline. Both the Entry/Release and Consent Form and the video file delivery must meet the deadline. No late submissions will be considered.
- Submissions are limited to one video per category per student.
The FGCU Student Video Contest panel of judges will include representatives from FGCU Community Relations and Marketing and the FGCU Foundation. The panel will select the first- and second-place winners for each category based on the submitted video’s:
- Depiction of chosen theme
- Adherence to the rules
- Overall quality
Award winners will be publicly announced no later than April 18, 2014.
The Contest Legal Terms
As the producer or producers of the video, you agree to the following:
- You are the rightful creators of the video;
- You will abide by the rules of the contest;
- You have written permission for the use of copyrighted works contained in the video, that the works contained in the video are in the public domain, or are original works created for the video;
- You have the consent of all participants in the video, including the producer(s), who appear in the video;
- You release whatever rights, title or property interest you individually or collectively may have in the video submitted for this contest to Florida Gulf Coast University;
- You shall receive no compensation for your appearance in promotional materials or activities that include the video or excerpts of the video;
- You acknowledge that each cash prize may be divided among those identified as producers of the video. You also acknowledge that each producer will be required to complete a W9 tax form and will have to submit his or her social security number as part of the completion of the W9 tax form;
- You acknowledge that Florida Gulf Coast University is not responsible for technical hardware or software failures of any kind, for lost or unavailable network connections or for failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions that may limit, or interfere with, a participant’s ability to take part in the contest.
- You agree to release and discharge the university, its directors, officers, employees, sponsors, and their agents from all actions, claims and demands arising out of your participation in the contest, the awarding of the prize or the use of any personal information;
- Finally, you release and will hold harmless Florida Gulf Coast University from all claims relating to or in connection with the use of the video, whether foreseen or unforeseen, known or unknown, including, and without limitation, any claims for negligence, libel, defamation, and any right to publicity or privacy.
Student Video Contest Entry/Release & Consent Form
Actor/Participant Release & Consent Form