Register for any course by visiting our ONLINE STORE.
Community CPR/First Aid/AED
Description: To help participants recognize and respond appropriately to cardiac, breathing and first aid emergencies. This course will teach participants the skills needed to know to give immediate care to a suddenly injured or ill person until more advanced medical personnel arrive and take over. Certification is current for two years. This course has an online component that must be completed before the start of class. Instructions on how to access the online material will be emailed to you one week prior to your course.
Class Offerings: January 25, February 22, March 29, April 19, May 31 from 10am-2pm (registration closes one week prior to class)
Course Cost: $80.00 | FGCU Current Student, Faculty & Staff: $70.00
Lifeguarding | Lifeguard Training Manual (.pdf)
Description: The course will prepare participants to make appropriate decisions about the care to provide in an aquatic emergency and a medical emergency. Will provide the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services arrive. All certifications from this course (Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR/AED) are current for two years. Participants must also successfully complete a prerequisite swim evaluation and the online components before the first day of class.
Course Schedule: Friday 5-9pm, Saturday & Sunday 8am-6pm - attendance required on all three days.
Dates: February 13-15, March 20-22, April 10-12, May 8-10, May 15-17 (registration closes one week prior to class)
- 300 yard continuous swim using front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both
- 2 minutes of treading water with hands in your arm pits without stopping
- Within 1 minute and 40 seconds swim 20 yards retrieve a brick at 7-10 feet deep and then swim 20 yards back to the starting point while both hands are on the brick and face above the water. Exit the pool without using ladder or stairs
Prerequisite Online Course:
- All participants MUST complete the entire online course before the first day of class and bring their completion print out to class. Instructions on how to access the online material will be emailed to you one week prior to the start of your course.
Course Cost: $225.00 | FGCU Current Student, Faculty & Staff: $200.00
There is also a blended learning option for this course (online & in-person combo). Please see the ONLINE STORE for the class dates.
Water Safety Instructor (WSI) | Water Safety Training Manual (.pdf)
Description: The WSI course is what is needed to be able to teach swim lessons. The course will cover skills and train candidates to successfully teach the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program.
Course Offerings: April 10-12
Candidates must attend and successfully complete each session. They must also be able to demonstrate the following:
- 25 yards of each: front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke, elementary backstroke, and sidestroke
- 15 yards butterfly
- Maintain back float and tread water for 1 minute each
Course Cost: $250.00 | FGCU Current Student, Faculty & Staff: $225.00
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When can I register?
Registrations are open at the online store for credit card payments. You can access the online store through the link above. Registration must be complete the Wednesday before the class is scheduled to start. Depending on availability late registrations make be accepted. However, an additional fee of $10 will be required for late registration to any program.
2. Do I register online, over the phone, or in person?
Online registration is our preferred method of registration. If you cannot register with a credit card and need to ask about making arrangements to pay with another method please contact Emma Reeners at email@example.com or 239-590-7701. We however, cannot accept any method of payments over the phone.
3. If I have already registered for a course but found out I can no longer attend can I receive a refund?
A full refund will be provided if cancelled a week before the course. If cancelling within the week before the class starts a $50 processing fee will be assessed. If the course was cancelled by FGCU due to not meeting the 3 participant minimum you can either choose to roll over your registration to another course, or receive a full refund.
4. If I do not meet the prerequisites for the lifeguarding course as outlined by the American Red Cross am I eligible for a refund?
Yes. You will receive a refund minus a $50 processing fee.
5. If I already hold a certification in CPR or Lifeguarding course, can I skip that portion of the class?
No. You need to be present for all sessions of each program to be considered for successful completion.
6. What is the difference between Blended Learning and the regular course?
Blended learning has the learning split between at home learning on your computer as well as in classroom skill sessions. After registration you will be emailed a detailed instruction list on how to access the online program.