The Health Services Administration Certificate Program is designed to prepare individuals who seek specialized education and certification in health services administration. The flexibility of the program offers baccalaureate degree graduates the opportunity to acquire expertise and specialization in line with their interest, needs and career applications in health services administration. The program embraces different backgrounds and interests and is appropriate for individuals who wish to gain further interdisciplinary education in health services administration. It is suited for graduates from
- any undergraduate major particularly those in business administration, finance, health administration, nursing and other allied health professions;
- Master's of Business Administration (MBA) or other master's level degree programs in nursing and other allied health professions;
- and physicians, dentists and other professional clinicians.
The program requires the completion of 21 credit hours of courses, 15 of which are required courses. Required courses address U.S. models of health care practice, health services management and operations, concepts and principles of managed care, financial management in health care, and health policies and economic issues in health services organizations. Additional areas of elective study include courses in accounting, finance, entrepreneurship, informatics and information management, managed care, marketing, global perspectives on health policies, or other courses selected with approval of the faculty advisor. An internship is offered in health services administration as an elective. Completion of 15 credit hours is required prior to beginning the internship.
Visit the following sites for information on careers in health administration:
Program Admission Requirements
- Submission of a FGCU Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Application to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Submission of a completed application for the Health Services Administration Certificate program to the Department of Health Sciences.
- Graduation from a baccalaureate level program or a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university documented by official transcripts.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet minimum university admission requirements are required from applicants who have earned their bachelor's degree outside the United States in a country where English is not the official language. This requirement is not limited to international students.
- Provide verification of one of the following:
- (Combined score of GRE quantitative and verbal sections) + (GPA for the last 60 semester hours of the baccalaureate degree x 200) must equal or exceed 900 (1600 for GRE prior to August 2011); or
- Minimum MAT score of 400 and a minimum GPA for the last 60 hours of the baccalaureate degree that must equal or exceed 3.00 on a scale of 4.00; or
- (GMAT score) + (GPA for the last 60 semester hours of the baccalaureate degree x 200) must equal or exceed 1100; or
- A graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Applicants may apply for either spring or fall admission.
- Required Courses (15 hrs)
- HSA 5115 Health Services Management and Operations (3)
- HSA 6155 Health Policies and Economic Issues in Health Services Organizations (3)
- HSA 6179 Models of Financial Management and Operations (3)
- HSA 6342 Human Resource Management for Health Care Managers (3)
- HSA 6385 Planning, Evaluation, and Quality Management (3)
- Electives (6 hrs)
Select 6 hours from the following:
- HSA 5103 US Models of Health Care Practice (3)
- HSA 5112 Comparative Health Services Delivery Systems (3)
- HSA 5126 Concepts & Principles of Managed Care (3)
- HSA 5225 Long Term Care Administration (3)
- HSA 6149 Planning & Mktg Health Services (3)
- HSA 6198 Informatics and Health Management Information Systems (3)
- HSA 6930 Topics in Health Services Admin (1-6)
- HSA 6933 Entrepreneurship in Health Services Administration (3)
- HSA 6942 Health Services Administration Internship (3)
- IHS 6112 Legal & Ethical Aspect of Health Care (3)
Or other electives as approved by the advisor.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 21 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Earn a minimum of 21 credit hours with minimum of a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale on all course work attempted at FGCU.
- Earn a grade of C or above in all required courses. A grade of C- does not satisfy the requirement of a minimum grade of C.
Back to Previous Page