The post-baccalaureate certificate program in Clinical Laboratory Science is designed for students with baccalaureate degrees in the chemical or biological sciences who seek licensure/certification in clinical laboratory science. Individuals completing the program are prepared to work in the clinical laboratory areas of chemistry, microbiology, immunohematology, hematology, and immunology. Clinical experiences at community laboratories are integrated within the curriculum and enhance your growth as professionals. The program is accredited by NAACLS (5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, 773-714-8880).
Program Admission Requirements
- Submission of a FGCU Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Application to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Submission of a completed application for the Clinical Laboratory Science Certificate program to the Division of Health Sciences.
- Graduation from a baccalaureate level program from an accredited college or university documented by official transcripts. Degrees in the chemical or biological sciences are recommended.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.20 for the last 60 semester hours of the baccalaureate degree.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet minimum university admission requirements are required from applicants who have earned their bachelor's degree outside the United States in a country where English is not the official language. This requirement is not limited to international students.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses or the equivalent with a grade of C or above:
- Biology (with Microbiology) 16 credit hours
- Chemistry (with Organic or Biochemistry) 16 credit hours
- Mathematics 3 credit hours
- The following prerequisite courses or the equivalent are recommended:
- Required Courses (39 hrs)
- MLS 3038 Essentials of CLS (3)
- MLS 3220 Biological Fluid Analysis (2)
- MLS 4191 Molecular Diagnostics (3)
- MLS 4308 Hematology/Hemostasis (3)
- MLS 4404 Diagnostic Microbiology (3)
- MLS 4505 Clinical Immunology (2)
- MLS 4550 Immunohematology & Transfusion (3)
- MLS 4627 Clinical Biochemistry (3)
- MLS 4820C Clinical Biochemistry Practicum (3)
- MLS 4821C Clinical Microbiology Practicum (3)
- MLS 4822C Clinical Hematology Practicum (3)
- MLS 4823C Clinical Immunohematology Practicum (3)
- MLS 4826C Clinical Immunology Practicum (2)
- MLS 4462 Diagnostic Virology/Mycology/Parasitology (3)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 39 HRS
Back to Previous Page