Program Admission Requirements
- A cover letter of introduction including a statement of academic goals, career goals, and research interests.
- A four year undergraduate degree from an accredited institution.
- Official copies of undergraduate transcripts and scores from the General Graduate Record Examination (GRE). GRE subject exam is not required. A minimum of 400 on each of the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE and a combined minimum score of 1000. Interquartile scores on the GRE for students recently admitted to the program are available at: http://www.fgcu.edu/CAS/EnvStudiesMA/.
- A minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) for international students from countries where English is not the primary language.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 scale) for the last 60 semester hours of upper division undergraduate coursework or graduate coursework up to a maximum of the last 60 hours of coursework.
- At least three letters of recommendation from people familiar with the applicant's academic and research potential.
- Completion of the following:
- One course in General Biology lab
- One environmental science course, e.g. Environmental Chemistry or Geology
- One course in Environmental Policy, or related professional experience
- Core Foundations (18 hrs)
- ANG 6267 Cultural Ecology (3)
- EVS 6937 Environmental Policy (3)
- EVR 6649 Environmental Design (3)
- GIS 5306C Advanced GIS: Spatial Analysis (3)
- PCB 6064C Advanced Ecology (3)
- URP 5312 Growth Management and Comprehensive Planning (3)
- Applications: Select One (3 hrs)
- EVR 6404 Environmental Operations Management (3)
- EVR 6237 Natural Resource Management (3)
- Methods: Select One (3 hrs)
- EVR 6022 Environmental Research Methodology (3)
- EVR 6038 Social Science Research Methods for Environmental Studies (3)
- Restricted Electives: Select Two (6 hrs)
- EVR 5145 Ecotoxicology (3)
- EVR 5414 Interpreting the Environment (3)
- EVR 5039 Social and Cultural Dimensiions of Environmental Movements (3)
- EVR 5925 Environmental Education (3)
- EVR 6322 Concepts and Applications of Sustainability (3)
- EVR 6447 Environmental Risk Management (3)
- EVR 6907 Directed Independent Studies in Environmental Science (3)
- EVR 6936 Special Topics in Environmental Science (3)
- EVR 6216 Scientific Basis for Water Quality Policy (3)
- EVS 5818 Ecological Risk Assessment (3)
- EVS 6941 Environmental Practicum (3)
- GIS 6308C Advanced GIS: Research Project (3)
- GLY 5266C Advanced Biogeochemistry (3)
- LIT 6934 Environmental Literature (3)
- OCB 6646 Marine Biogeography (3)
- OCG 6053 Coastal and Watershed Geology (3)
- PAD 5356 Environmental Policy & Ethics (3)
- PAD 5620 Environmental Law (3)
- URP 5873 Site Design and Land Use Planning (3)
- URP 6421 Environmental Planning and Economics (3)
Alternative electives may be selected, subject to approval by the student's graduate committee and the Degree Program Coordinator.
- Thesis (6 hrs)
Register for at least six credits of the following:
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 36 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 must be maintained for all coursework in the degree program.
- Successful completion of each core course requires a grade of B or better.
- Successful completion of each elective course requires a grade of C or better.
- Each student must have a graduate committee composed of a minimum of three individuals, two of whom must be graduate faculty in the Department of Marine and Ecological Sciences.
- Prior to conducting thesis research (prior to registering for EVR 6970) the student must have the approval of his or her graduate committee for the proposed thesis topic and methodology.
- Each student must present an oral defense of thesis to the public and to the faculty committee, and must pass the defense before submitting the final thesis.
- Upon completiion the student must provide two signed, bound copies of his or her thesis, one to the FGCU library and the other to the Department of Marine and Ecological Sciences.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
A maximum of 9 credits of course work, for courses equivalent to listed requirements or electives, may be transferred from other institutions or from pre-degree enrollment at FGCU. These are subject to approval of the Degree Program Coordinator.
Back to Previous Page