The interdisciplinary Master of Science in Health Science program is designed to provide advanced opportunities for baccalaureate graduates. Graduates are prepared to serve as health care leaders in advanced professional roles within the diverse current and dynamic health services delivery system. In addition, graduates acquire skills and expertise in planning, developing, and implementing innovative and quality health care services.
Coursework for this degree program is offered on a part-time basis by distance learning. This program includes a common program core, one required concentration core, and either a capstone project, or internship. Total program length is 36 hours. Concentrations are available in Health Professions Education and Health Services Administration.
Program Admission Requirements
See program website at URL listed above.
Program Core (12 hrs)
Required courses in the major:
- IHS 5508 Statistical Analysis for the Health Professions (3)
- IHS 6112 Legal & Ethical Aspects of Health Care (3)
- IHS 6500 Research in the Health Professions (3)
- IHS 6939 Health Policy Capstone Seminar (3)
- Electives in the Major (3-6 hrs)
- Select one of the following:
- HSC 6911 Health Professions Capstone Project (3)
- HSA 6942 Internship in Health Services Admin. (3)
- HSC 6943 Internship in Health Prof. Education (3)
- Concentration Requirements (18-21 hrs)
- Select one of the following concentrations:
- Health Professions Education Concentration
- Required courses (15 hr):
- HSC 5260 Teaching Methods for the Health Professions (3)
- HSC 5268 Health Professions Faculty Roles & Responsibilities (3)
- HSC 6236 Client Education in the Health Professions (3)
- HSC 6258 Curriculum Development in Health Professions Education (3)
- HSC 6715 Educational Measurement & Evaluation in the Health Professions (3)
- Select 6 hours from the following:
- HSC 6905 Directed Study in Health Professions Education (1-6)
- HSC 69352 Topics in Health Professions Education (1-6)
- Or other courses as approved by the advisor.
2Course can be repeated under different topics.
- Health Services Administration Concentration
- Required courses (21 hrs):
- HSA 5115 Health Services Management and Operations (3)
- HSA 6155 Health Policies and Economic Issues in Health Services Organizations (3)
- HSA 6179 Models of Financial Management in Health Care (3)
- HSA 6198 Informatics and Health Management Information Systems (3)
- HSA 6342 Human Resource Management for Health Care Managers (3)
- HSA 6385 Planning, Evaluation, and Quality Management (3)
- HSA 6520 Managerial Epidemiology (3)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 36 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Apply for graduation by deadline indicated in the university calendar.
- Earn a minimum of 36 credit hours with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Earn a grade of C or better in each course. A grade of C minus (C-) is considered less than a C.
- Refer to the Health Science Student Guidebook for further information on progression standards (available at http://www.fgcu.edu/CHP/HS/currentstudents.html )
Back to Previous Page