The Master of Science in Criminal Justice (M.S.) is designed to prepare graduates for advancement in justice-related professions, particularly as administrative and management level officers in law enforcement, corrections and juvenile justice, as well as pursuing advanced academic education in doctoral or legal programs. The program will provide graduates with an in-depth understanding of management of criminal justice agencies as it relates to the agency, the law, the courts, and the public.
Program Admission Requirements
See program website at URL listed above.
Progression And Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete the minimum number of credit hours specified by the graduate degree program.
- A grade of B or higher must be earned in all Department graduate courses used as prerequisites and each core course.
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher in all work attempted.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all coursework in program.
- Students must complete and pass a culminating demonstration of learning and competence at the end of the program, currently a comprehensive examination.
- The Department limits the transfer of coursework into its graduate programs to a maximum of 12 credits or three courses. To be considered, courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of B and no more than seven years prior to the date of entry into the graduate program and no more than ten years prior to graduation from the graduate program.
- Required Core Courses (21 credits)
CCJ 5476 Mgmt. & Admin. of Justice (3)
CCJ 6485 Criminal Justice Policy (3)
CCJ 6606 Social Constructs of Crime (3)
CJE 6168 Media and Community Relations CJ (3)
CJL 5320 Legal Aspects of CJ Management (3)
PAD 6227 Public Budgeting (3)
PAD 6417 Public Personnel Admin (3)
- Additional Required Courses (6 credits)
CCJ 6707 Adv. Quantitative Research (3)
CCJ 6971 Thesis in Criminal Justice (3)
Integrated Project Option
CCJ 6709 Advanced Qualitative Research (3)
CCJ 6974 Project in Criminal Justice (3)
- Restricted Electives* (9 credits)
Select from additional 5000-6999 courses with any of the following prefixes: CCJ, CJC, CJE, CJJ, CJL, DSC except courses graded on an S/U scale.
*Courses used to fulfill required courses cannot also be used to fulfill restricted electives.
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 36
Back to Previous Page