The PGA Golf Management (PGM) program, a four and a half year college curriculum for aspiring PGA Professionals, is a structured academic program accredited by the PGA of America. Florida Gulf Coast University is one of only 19 schools accredited by the PGA nationally, and one of only two in the state of Florida. The program is designed to provide the skill and knowledge base necessary for future golf professionals to succeed in a wide variety of positions within the industry. Students attending the PGM program at Florida Gulf Coast University will graduate with a Bachelor of Science major in PGA Golf Management. Upon completion of the university's requirements, PGA requirements, and 16 months of internship, students are eligible to become Class A PGA Members upon graduation. Some of the golf specific courses you will take as an upper-level student in the program will include: Turfgrass Management, Golf Facility Operations, Advanced Golf Merchandising Operations, Director of Golf Instructional Operations, Golf Course Ownership, and Golf Executive Management. There have also been courses developed to aid in the completion of the PGA's Level 1, 2, and 3 education requirements.
Located in southwest Florida, the PGM Program at FGCU not only boasts one of the most desired geographical locations in the country, but with over 135 courses within an hour of campus, is also serving a local industry need. Current PGM students have the opportunity to work part-time, intern, and play at some of the most exclusive facilities in the country.
Program Admission Requirements
PGA Golf Management is a limited access program. Qualified students are admitted for the fall semester. Admission decisions are based on materials and coursework completed at the time of application and receipt of the PGA Golf Management Limited Access Application/Golf Handicap Verification form. For priority consideration, all application materials should be received by April 1st of the calendar year for which entry is sought. Application materials received after April 1st will be considered on a space-available basis.
- Submit a FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Complete common prerequisites with a grade of C or better.
- Submit a PGM Program application form to the PGA Golf Management Program office.
- Provide proof of a golf handicap of 12 or lower to the PGA Golf Management Program office, verified by one of the following: (a) USGA handicap card, (b) letter from a PGA Golf Professional, (c) letter of playing ability from a high school golf coach with a transcript of 6 school scores. Please submit the Handicap Verification Form with your PGM Program Application.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: HFT 1000 Introduction to Hospitality/Tourism (3)
Acceptable Substitute: HFTX000 or HFTX003
- Required Courses in the Major (51 credits)
FSS 3338C Introduction to F&B Management (3)
HFT 1382 Intro to Golf Management (3)
HFT 2352 Player Development (1)
HFT 3353 Golf Facility Operations (2)
HFT 3383 Adv. Golf Merchandising Oper. (2)
HFT 3404 Resort & Hosp Financial Acct (3)
HFT 3573 R&H Marketing (3)
HFT 3670 R&H Law,Legal Issues&Risk Mgmt (3)
HFT 4381 Golf Executive Management (3)
HFT 4934 PGM Senior Seminar (3)
HFT 4948 PGA PGM Management Internship (11)
ORH 2220C Turfgrass Management Operations (3)
PEL 3120 PGA Prep 1 (3)
PEL 3125 PGA Prep 2 (3)
PEL 4126 Golf Practicum (3)
PEO 3124 Director of Golf Instr. Oper. (2)
- Electives in the Major (3 credits)
HFT 3221Mgmt Resort Hosp Human Resourc (3)
HFT 3271 Intro to Club & Spa Management (3)
HFT 3253 RHM Lodging Operations Man (3)
HFT 3572 RHM Sales,ADV&Public Relations (3)
HFT 3443 Hospitality Info Technology (3)
HFT 3757 Principles of Event Management (3)
HFT 4275 Resort Development & Mgt. (3)
HFT 4343 Resort & Rec Facilities Mgt. (3)
HFT 4380 Golf Course Ownership (3)
HFT 4464 Resort & Hosp Financial Mgmt (3)
HFT 4866 Wine Merchandising, Tasting & Tech (3)
PEL 3123 History of Golf (3)
PEL 4906 PGA PGM Directed Study (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- At least 48 of the 120 credits must be in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- At least 30 of the last 60 credits must be earned at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Satisfy elements of the Professional Golfers Association of America PGM program, including (a) passing the Qualifying Level and Level 1, 2, and 3 Knowledge tests required by the PGA of America, and (b) passing the PGA Player Ability Test. For those wishing to become PGA of America members, United States citizenship and a completed background check is required prior to election to membership. Consult a college advisor or PGM Director for additional details.
Back to Previous Page