The Counseling Department offers a Transition to School Counseling Certificate for students who have a prior master's degree in community or mental health counseling.
- Submission of a FGCU Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Application to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- An official transcript showing the award of a master's degree in counseling or closely related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- An official transcript of all completed post-bachelor's coursework.
- Documentation of any Counseling certification or license held in Florida or any other U.S. state if applicable.
- A Statement of Eligibility from the state of Florida Department of Education that assesses the candidate as a School Counselor within the 12 months prior to application.
- Evidence of having taken the General Knowledge section of the FTCE (or a commitment that it will be completed successfully no later than the first term of enrollment).
- Submission of a written statement of career goals including the understanding that internships are only offered during the day and during the fall and spring terms.
- Completion of the following courses or their equivalents:
- Counseling Spec Population Gps, (3) (MHS 6420 at FGCU)
- Legal & Ethical Iss. in Coun., (3) (MHS 6700 at FGCU)
- EDF 5259 Classroom Mgt & Org (3) OR Group Counseling/Methods (MHS 6500 or 6530 at FGCU)
Deadline: Applications for admission are considered on a continuing basis but applicants should consider that required courses may only be offered once per year and that internships are completed at the end of the program.
NOTE: Counseling Criminal Record Policy Statement: All applicants are advised that in order to complete the program they must complete internships. Most internship facilities do background checks and will not permit the placement of counselor interns with criminal records. The department reserves the right to deny program admission to any applicant if it appears that applicant is unlikely to be able to complete the internship requirement due to a criminal record, thus inhibiting their ability to complete the program.
- EDG 6356 Inst Models and Strategies (3)
- MHS 6010 Intro to School Counseling (3)
- MHS 6601 Consult & Collabor Prob Solve (3)
- 300 hour internship: MHS 6831 Schl Counseling Internship1 (2) and MHS 6832 Schl Counsl-Intern-Supervision (4) OR SDS 6830 Schl Counsel-Final Internship (3) (per advisement)
- RED 5147L Developmental Reading (3)*
*Note: Requires 15 hours of field supervision during the day.
At the completion of requirements students apply for certification as a school counselor directly with the Florida Department of Education.
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 15-17
Back to Previous Page