The Music Therapy Program is approved by the American Music Therapy Association (8455 Colesville Road, Suite 1000, Silver Spring MD 20910, Phone: 301.589.3300 Fax: 301.589.5175). (http://www.musictherapy.org/)
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Limited Access: Submit a Bower School of Music and the Arts Supplemental Application by June 1 for fall admission and November 1 for spring admission.
- A Performance Audition, Theory Placement Exam and Interview must be completed for acceptance consideration into the Music Therapy Limited Access Program.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C or S is required for each course.
FGCU Course: MUT 1111 Music Theory I (3)
Acceptable Substitute: MUT X111 or MUT X121
FGCU Course: MUT 1112 Music Theory II (3)
Acceptable substitute: MUT X112 or MUT X122
FGCU Course: MUT 2116 Music Theory III (3)
Acceptable substitute: MUT X116 or MUT X126
FGCU Course: MUT 2117 Music Theory IV (3)
Acceptable substitute: MUT X117 or MUT X127
FGCU Courses: MUT 1241 Aural Skills (1) and MUT 1242 Aural Skills II (1) and MUT 2246 Aural Skills III (1) and MUT 2247 Aural Skills IV (1)
Acceptable Substitutes: (MUT X241 and MUT X242 and MUT X246 and MUT X247) or (MUT X221 and MUT X222 and MUT X226 and MUTX227) or (MUT X261 and MUT X262 and MUT X266 and MUT X267) or (MUT X271 and MUT X272 and MUT X276 and MUT X277)
Secondary Piano Proficiency by Examination
Acceptable substitutes: (MVK X111 and MVK X112 and MVK X121 and MVK X122) or (MVK X111r and MVK X121r and MVK X111r and MVK X121r and MVK X121r and MVK X211 and MVK X221)
Note: Duplicate courses such as MVK X111r may be repeated up to 4 times.
FGCU Course: MUN XXXX Ensemble (1 credit for 4 semesters) (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MUN XXXX
FGCU Course: MVX XX1X Applied Music (2 credit for 2 semesters) (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MVX XX1X
FGCU Course: MVX XX2X Applied Music (2 credit for 2 semesters) (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MVX XX2X
Additional Recommended Courses: MUH X512 or MUH X513 or MUL X110 or MUS X010 or MVV X111 or MVS X116 or MUE X440 or MUE X412 or PSY X012 or MUL X111
- Required Courses in the Major (54 credits)
A minimum grade of C or S is required for each course.
MUG 3104 Introduction to Conducting (2)
MUH 3211 Survey of Music History I (3)
MUH 3212 Survey of Music History II (3)
MUN 3000-4999 Ensemble (2) 1 credit for two semesters; prior approval required
MUS 1010 Recital Attendance, (0) six semesters
MUS 1360 Intro to Music Technology (1)
MUS 3953 Junior Recital (0)
MUS 4920 Senior Capstone in Music (3)
MUY 1000 Introduction to Music Therapy (3)
MUY 2103 Music Foundations (3)
MUY 2203 Orientation to Practice (3)
MUY 3101 Music Therapy Competencies (3)
MUY 3503 Clinical Foundations (3)
MUY 3942 Music Therapy Practicum I (2)
MUY 3943 Music Therapy Practicum II (2)
MUY 4102 Music Therapy Competencies II (3)
MUY 4940 Music Therapy Internship (9)
MUY 4941 Music Therapy Practicum III (2)
MVS 1116 Class Guitar (1)
MVV 1110 Class Voice (2)
MVB, MVK, MVP, MVV, or MVW 3000-3999 Junior Applied Music (4) 2 credits for two semesters; prior approval required.
- Restricted Electives (9 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required for each course.
BSC 1020C Human Systems (3)
CCJ 1020 Introduction to Criminal Justice (3)
CCJ 1080 Intro to Forensic Studies (3)
CLP 3140 Basic Psychopathy (3) (PR: PSY 2012)
DEP 2004 Principles of Development (3) (PR: PSY 2012)
EDF 2085 Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
EEX 4201 Young Children with Sp. Needs (3)
GEY 3601 Aging and Human Performance (3) (PR: GEY 3001)
HSC 3208 Health Education Foundations (3)
HSC 3537 Medical Terminology (3)
HSC 3624 Global Health Systems & Issues (3)
HSC 3661C Dynamics of Communication (3)
HSC 4150 Impacts of Substance Abuse (3)
HSC 4555 Disease, Impairment and Function (3)
PCB 2336 Human Genetics (3)
PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
SOW 2130 Diversity Consciousness (3)
SPC 3210 Theories of Human Communication (3)
SPC 3331 Nonverbal Communications (3)
SYG 2000 Introduction to Sociology (3)
SYG 2010 Social Problems (3)
SYG 2220 Intro to Gender Studies (3)
SYG 2250 Multicultural Issues (3)
Note: A minimum of 48 hours at the upper division (3000-4999) must be taken for the degree. Students who do not have prior upper division coursework may need to select upper division courses to satisfy this requirement.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 127-132 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 48 must be at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfaction of College-Level English Language Writing Skills (CLWS attribute) requirement.
- Satisfaction of the foreign language entrance requirement.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement. (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Completion of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Of the last 72 hours, a minimum of 33 hours must be at FGCU, including 12 credit hours in the major.
- Submit an online Application for Graduation via Gulfline by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
Back to Previous Page