The Health Science program is an interdisciplinary program designed to provide career advancement opportunities for entry level health profession practitioners as well as individuals that seek future careers in health care. The program is also recommended for students who are interested in a health profession at the post-baccalaureate level, such as Health Services Administration, Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy. All of the upper division coursework for this program is available by web based distance learning.
- Submit a FGCU Undergraduate Application for Admission and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Student must contact the Executive Secretary of the Department of Health Sciences in order to fill out a Declaration of Major form and be assigned to an Academic Advisor.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
FGCU has two concentrations within the BS in Health Science track:
(1) The Health Science concentration requires an associate's degree in a health profession practitioner content area and possession, or eligibility for licensure, certification, or registration in a health profession in order to participate in the health professions education practicum component of the Health Science concentration.
(2) The Health Services Administration concentration does not require an associate's degree in a health profession practitioner content area and possession of or eligibility for licensure, certification, or registration in a health profession.
In order to participate in the health professions education practicum component of the Health Science Concentration, an associate's degree in a health profession practitioner content area and possession of, or eligibility for licensure, certification, or registration in a health profession is required.
- Required Courses in the Major (30 credits)
HSA 3110 Prins of Health Services Admin (3)
HSA 3111 US Health Care Systems (3)
HSA 4191 Health Care Info Systems (3)
HSA 4340 HR Mgmt in Health Servcs Orgs. (3)
HSC 4500 Epidemiology (3)
IHS 3101 Shaping Hlthcare in 21st Cent. (3)
IHS 3112 Legal & Ethical Princ of HC (3)
IHS 3203 Mgmt. & Leadership in Hlthcare (3)
IHS 4504 Research Methods in HealthCare (3)
IHS 4938 Senior Seminar (3)
Select one of the following concentrations:
Health Science Concentration (12 credits)
HSC 3243 Teaching and Learning in the Health Professions (3)
HSC 3720 Health Perspectives and Assessment in Health Professions Practice (3)
HSC 4231 Client Education in Health Care (3)
HSC 4250 Task Analysis & Curriculum Development in the Health Professions (3)
Health Services Administration Concentration (15 credits)
HSA 3150 Health Care Policy in the US (3)
HSA 4109 Principles of Managed Care (3)
HSA 4170 Models of Financial Management in Health Care (3)
HSA 4502 Risk Management in Health Services (3)
HSA 48171 Practicum in Health Services Administration (3)
1HSA 4817 can be waived for an upper division elective with at least 3 years of documented health services administration employment with supervisory responsibilities.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Apply for graduation by deadline indicated in the university calendar.
- Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- At least 48 of the 120 credits must be in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C is required for all Health Science major and concentration courses. A grade of C minus (C-) is considered less than a C.
- Complete all program requirements.
- At least 25% of coursework required for the degree and 30 of the last 60 hours must be earned at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Refer to the Health Science Student Guidebook for further information on progression standards. Guidebook available at http://www.fgcu.edu/chp/hs/currentstu.html
Back to Previous Page