The following are minimum requirements for awarding the associate of arts (AA) degree:
- Earn a minimum of 60 semester hours with an institutional GPA of 2.0 in all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy general education requirements (36 hours of required and elective coursework in prescribed areas; see General Education section).
- Satisfy College-Level Skills (previously known as Gordon Rule requirements).
- At least 25% of the coursework required for the degree must be earned at FGCU.
- An AA degree is not automatically awarded. Students are required to apply. AA degrees are awarded at the end of the term in which the application was approved.
- Application for AA degree must be submitted to the appropriate academic advisor for approval any semester after completion of the requirements but prior to an application for the baccalaureate degree.
- An Associate of Arts degree will not be awarded in the same term that the baccalaureate degree is to be awarded or in any term following the completion of the baccalaureate degree.
- The AA degree information and date of award are listed on the academic transcript.
- Satisfy State of Florida foreign language admission requirement. Note: This requirement pertains to students initially entering a Florida College System institution or the state university system in 2014-2015 and thereafter. Coursework for an associate in arts degree shall include demonstration of competency in a foreign language pursuant to s. 1007.262.