Program Admission Requirements
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- *Limited Access: Submit a Bower School of Music Supplemental Application by June 1 for fall admission and November 1 for spring admission.
- A Performance Audition, Theory Placement Exam and Interview must be completed for acceptance consideration into the Music Limited Access Program.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
*This means that students apply and are initially accepted into the University as a pre-music major student. An application and subsequent audition for acceptance into the music major is also required. Not all students who audition and meet the selection criteria are admitted into the limited access major. The selection process is very competitive and space is limited in each admission class.
- NOTE: Students admitted to the Bower School of Music are eligible to apply for a Music Scholarship. The Music Scholarships are awarded to assist individual students to obtain an education and to help create an institutional musical environment conducive to the musical growth of all students and the enhancement of the campus cultural environment. The Music Scholarship recipient must maintain an overall grade point average of 2.5 and have no grades of “F” in any class (unless later replaced by a grade of “C” or better). Also she/he must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 in music classes at FGCU and have no grades lower than “C” in any music class (unless later replaced by a grade of “C” or better), and demonstrate continuing progress in the principal performing medium as exhibited through applied lessons, ensemble performance, recital appearances, and jury examinations.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- ENC 1101 (3)
- ENC 1102 (3)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- STA 2023 (3)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- HUM 2510 (3)
- Select MUH 2512 (3)
- Select MUL 2110 (3)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites (34-37 hrs)
- EDF 2005 Introduction to Teaching Profession (3)
- EDF 2085 Introduction to Diversity in Education (3)
- EME 2040 Introduction to Technology in Education (3)
- MUN xxxx Ensemble (1 cr x 4 sem) (4)
- MUT 1111 Music Theory I (3)
- MUT 1112 Music Theory II (3)
- MUT 1241 Aural Skills I (1)
- MUT 1242 Aural Skills II (1)
- MUT 2116 Music Theory III (3)
- MUT 2117 Music Theory IV (3)
- MUT 2246 Aural Skills III (1)
- MUT 2247 Aural Skills IV (1)
- MVx xx1x Applied Music (2-4)
- MVx xx2x Applied Music (2-4)
- Secondary Piano-Proficiency by Examination
- Required Courses in the Major (43 hrs)
- MUE 2040 Introduction to Music Teaching (1)
- MUE 3311 Teaching Music in Elementary School (3)
- MUG 3104 Introduction to Conducting (2)
- MUH 3211 Survey of Music History I (3)
- MUH 3212 Survey of Music History II (3)
- MUN 3xxx - 4xxx Ensemble (1 semester hour for two semesters) (2)
- MUN 3xxx - 4xxx Ensemble (1 semester for 0 credit) (0)
- MUS 1010 Recital Attendance, Six Semesters (0)
- MUS 1360 Introduction to Music Technology (1)
- MUS 3953 Junior Recital (0)
- MUS 4920 Senior Capstone in Music (3)
- MUS 4940 Internship in Music (9)
- MUT 3311 Orchestration and Arranging (3)
- MVS 1116 Class Guitar (1)
- MVx 3xxx Junior Applied Music (4) (2 cr x 2 semesters)
- MVx 4xxx Senior Applied Music (2)
- RED 4350 Literacy Content and Processes (3)
- TSL 4520 Second Language Acquisition (3)
- Concentration Requirements (15 hrs)
Complete requirements for one concentration:
- Choral Concentration
- Complete one of the following:
- MUE 3451 Woodwind Methods and Materials (1)
- MUE 3465 Brass Methods and Materials (1)
- Complete each of the following:
- MUE 3331 Secondary Vocal Music Methods (3)
- MUE 3343 String Methods & Materials (1)
- MUE 3433 Vocal Pedagogy (2)
- MUE 3475 Percussion Methods and Materials (2)
- MUE 4492 Choral Lit & Conducting Techniques (3)
- MUS 1201 Diction I (1)
- MUS 2202 Diction II (1)
- MVK 3131 Choral Keyboard Skills (1)
- Instrumental Concentration
- MUE 3343 String Methods & Materials (1)
- MUE 3451 Woodwind Methods & Materials (1)
- MUE 3465 Brass Methods & Materials (1)
- MUE 3475 Percussion Methods & Materials (2)
- MUE 4344 Teaching Instrumental Music in the Secondary School (3)
- MUE 4480 Marching Band Techniques (1)
- MUE 4481 Jazz Techniques and Methods (1)
- MUG 3204 Instr Lit. & Conducting Techniques (3)
- MVV 1110 Class Voice (2)
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 134 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 134 credit hours.
- A minimum of 48 of the 134 hours must be at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C or S for each course used to satisfy the following categories: common prerequisites, required courses in the major, and courses in the concentration.
- Satisfaction of Communication and Computation Skills requirement and foreign language entrance requirement.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement. (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Completion of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Pass the Piano Proficiency Exam (a common prerequisite which is on a Pass/Fail basis)
- Present an upper level recital in the applied emphasis, with a passing grade by a faculty committee.
- Of the last 74 hours, a minimum of 32 hours must be at FGCU, including 12 credit hours in the major.
- Pass the three (3) required tests [i.e., General Knowledge (082), Professional Education (083), and Music Education (028)] for Florida teacher certification.
- Submit an online Application for Graduation via Gulfline by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The following substitutions are acceptable for common prerequisites and must be completed with a grade of C or better
- MUN XXXX: may substitute MUN XXXX (4)
- MUT 1111: may substitute MUT X111 or MUT X121 (3)
- MUT 1112: may substitute MUT X112 or MUT X122 (3)
- MUT 2116: may substitute MUT X116 or MUT X126 (3)
- MUT 2117: may substitute MUT X117 or MUT X127 (3)
- MUT 1241: may substitute MUT X241, MUT X221, MUT X222, MUT X226 & MUT X227, OR MUT X261, MUT X262, MUT X266, MUT X267, OR MUT X271, MUT X272, MUT X276, and MUT X277 (1)
- MUT 1242: may substitute MUT X242, MUT X221, MUT X222, MUT X226 & MUT X227, OR MUT X261, MUT X262, MUT X266, MUT X267, OR MUT X271, MUT X272, MUT X276, and MUT X277 (1)
- MUT 2246 : may substitute MUT X246, MUT X221, MUT X222, MUT X226 & MUT X227, OR MUT X261, MUT X262, MUT X266, MUT X267, OR MUT X271, MUT X272, MUT X276, and MUT X277 (1)
- MUT 2247 : may substitute MUT X247, MUT X221, MUT X222, MUT X226 & MUT X227, OR MUT X261, MUT X262, MUT X266, MUT X267, OR MUT X271, MUT X272, MUT X276, and MUT X277 (1)
- MVX XX1X: may substitute MVX XX1X (2-4)
- MVX XX2X: may substitute MVX XX2X (2-4)
- Secondary Piano-Proficiency by Examination: may substitute MVK X111, and MVK X112, and MVK X121, & MVK X122, OR MVK X111r, and MVK X111r, and MVK X121r, and MVK X121r, MVK X122, and MVK X221 as needed to achieve piano proficiency.
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their General Education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
Back to Previous Page