Program Admission Requirements
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Complete common prerequisites with a grade of C or better.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- ENC 1101 (3)
- ENC 1102 (3)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- STA 2023 (3)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- HUM 2510 (3
- SPC 1017 (3) recommended
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately
- Common Prerequisites
18 hours are required outside the major and beyond the 36 hours of General Education requirements with a grade of C or better.
- Required Courses in the Major (21 hrs)
- IDS 3300 Foundations of Civic Engagement (3)
- SPC 1017 Fundamentals of Communication (3) (GEP)
- SPC 2023 Public Speaking (3)
- SPC 3210 Theories of Human Communication (3)
- SPC 3230 History of Rhetorical Theory (3)
- SPC 3721 Interracial/Intercultural Communication (3)
- SPC 4941 Internship (3)
- Concentration Requirements (18 hrs)
- Complete one of the following concentrations:
- Communication Studies Concentration
- Complete the following:
- COM 3343 Rhetorical Criticism (3)
- SPC 4932 Senior Seminar (3)
- Select 3 hours from the following Advanced Performance courses:
- COM 3462 Communication and Conflict (3)
- SPC 3360 Interviewing (3)
- SPC 3408 Stand-Up Comedy (3)
- SPC 3425 Group Communication (3)
- SPC 3513 Argumentation & Debate (3)
- SPC 3602 Advanced Public Speaking (3)
- SPC 4931 Special Topics (3)
- Select 6 hours from the following Advanced Theory courses:
- COM 3014 Communication & Gender (3)
- COM 3060 Communication and Environmental Justice (3)
- COM 3120 Organizational Communication Behavior (3)
- COM 3407 Theories of Comedy (3)
- COM 3465 Com & Negot: Power & Tactics (3)
- COM 3540 Persuasion and Propaganda (3)
- COM 4311 Research Methods (3)
- COM 4930 Special Topics (3)
- SPC 3301 Interpersonal Communication (3)
- SPC 3331 Nonverbal Communication (3)
- SPC 3350 Listening Theory (3)
- SPC 3370 Intrapersonal Communication (3)
- SPC 3722 Critical Race Theory in Communication (3)
- Select 3 hours from the following Advanced Philosophy or Communication courses:
- EVR 3020 Environmental Philosophies (3)
- REL 3413 Seven Deadly Sins (3)
- Or any course numbered 3000-4999 with the prefix COM, PHH, PHI PHM, PHP, REL, or SPC that has not already been used to fulfill a requirement for this major.
- Public Relations Concentration
- Complete the following:
- PUR 3000 Principles of Public Relations (3)
- PUR 3100 Public Relations Writing (3)
- PUR 3600 Public Relations Strategy (3)
- PUR 4500 Public Relations Research (3)
- PUR 4800 Public Relations Campaigns Capstone (3)
- Select 3 hours from the following:
- PUR 4420 Nonprofit Public Relations (3)
- PUR 4430 Environmental Public Relations (3)
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 120 credit hours.
- A minimum of 48 of the 120 hours must be at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C for each course used to satisfy the following categories: common prerequisites, required courses in the major, and courses in the concentration.
- Satisfaction of the Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Satisfaction of the residency requirement: thirty of the last sixty credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Completion of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an online Application for Graduation via Gulfline by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
For All Majors: Students are strongly recommended to select required lower division electives that will enhance their General Education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
Back to Previous Page