The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Exercise Science program is located in the College of Health Professions. Students in FGCU's Exercise Science program focus on analyzing movement and maximizing performance levels of high-level athletes, fitness-oriented persons, and special populations such as children and older adults.
Exercise Science graduates are eligible to sit for national certification exams through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). Graduates of the Exercise Science program will be qualified for graduate programs in the applied sciences and in the health professions such as athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, medicine, sports nutrition, and sports psychology.
The Exercise Science program is 120 credit hours in length. Upper division requirements can be completed in five semesters
For successfully meeting established criteria, the National Strength and Conditioning Association officially recognizes Florida Gulf Coast University's Educational Program in Strength and Conditioning.
Program Admission Requirements
- Submit a FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy applicable university admission requirements.
- Submit a supplemental application for the Exercise Science program. For priority consideration, all application materials must be received by February 1 of the year in which entry is sought.
- At time of application to the program, the following courses must be completed: BSC 1010C or BSC 1010 and BSC 1010L or approved substitute; BSC 1085C or approved substitute; CHM 1045C or CHM 1045 and CHM 1045L or approved substitute; two additional courses from the list of common prerequisites or approved substitutes below.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the summer term in which application is received.
- Earn a grade of C or better (a grade of C- or less is not acceptable) in each prerequisite course.
- Earn a minimum combined GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) for all prerequisite courses.
- Earn a minimum GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale) for the most recent 30 college credit hours.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- STA 2023 recommended
- MAC 1105 recommended
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- PSY 2012 recommended
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- BSC 1010C or BSC 1010 and BSC 1010L recommended
- BSC 1085C recommended
- CHM 1045C or CHM 1045 and CHM 1045L recommended
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites
- BSC 1010C General Biology w/Lab I (4) or BSC 1010C (3) General Biology I and BSC 1010L (1) General Biology I lab
- BSC 1011C General Biology w/Lab II (4) or BSC 1011 (3) General Biology II and BSC 1011L (1) General Biology II lab
- BSC 1085C Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4)
- BSC 1086C Human Anatomy & Physiology II (4)
- CHM 1045C General Chemistry w/Lab I (4) or CHM 1045 (3) General Chemistry I and CHM 1045L (1) General Chemistry I lab
- CHM 1046C General Chemistry w/Lab II (4) or CHM 1046 (3) General Chemistry II and CHM 1046L (1) General Chemistry I lab
- HSC 2577 Human Nutrition (3)
- MAC 1147 Precalculus (4)
- PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
Students are strongly encouraged to complete PHY 2053C College Physics w/Lab I prior to being admitted into the major.
- Required Courses in the Major (57 hrs)
- APK 3125 Fitness Assessment & Exercise Prescription (3)
- APK 3125L Fitness Assessment Lab (2)
- APK 3312 Pharmacology and Ergogenic Aids (2)
- APK 4112 Sport and Exercise Psychology (3)
- APK 4120 Clinical Exercise Physiology (3)
- APK 4123 Human Performance and Energy Supplies (2)
- APK 4137 Exercise and Sport Physiology (3)
- APK 4137L Exercise and Sport Physiology Lab (2)
- APK 4138 Methods of Resistance Training and Conditioning (3)
- APK 4138L Resistance Training Lab (2)
- APK 4930 Preparation for Entering & Growing in Profession II (2)
- APK 4941L Experiential Learning I (4)
- APK 4948L Experiential Learning II (4)
- ATR 3512 Athletic Health Care Administration (3)
- IHS 4504 Research Methods in Health Care (3)
- PET 3627C Care and Prevention of HP Injuries (3)
- PHT 3176 Movement Science I (7)
- PHT 3176L Movement Science I Laboratory (1)
- PHT 3177 Movement Science II (4)
- PHT 3177L Movement Science II Laboratory (1)
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
Additional electives may be required to reach a minimum of 120 credit hours for the baccalaureate degree.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credit hours.
- At least 48 of the 120 hours must be in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- At least 30 of the last 60 hours must be earned at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C is required for all Exercise Science major courses.
- Satisfy Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Perform at Entry Level in all criteria of the Professional Behaviors Plan.
- Apply for graduation per university guidelines and timeline.
- Meet all FGCU requirements for graduation.
- Adhere to requirements as stated in the Exercise Science Student Guidebook.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The following substiutions are acceptable for common prerequisites and must be completed with a grade of C or better:
- BSC 1010C: may substitute BSC X010C or BSC X010 and BSC X010L (4)
- BSC 1011C: may substitute BSC X011C or BSC X011 and BSC X011L (4)
- BSC 1085C: may substitute BSC X085C (4) or BSC X085 and BSC X085L (4) or PET X322 and PET X322L (4) or APK X100 and APK X100L (4)
- BSC 1086C: may substitute BSC X086C (4) or BSC X086 and BSC X086L (4) or PET X323 and PET X323L (4) or APK X105 and APK X105L (4)
- CHM 1045C: may substitute CHM X045C or CHM X045 and CHM X045L (4)
- CHM 1046C: may substitute CHM X046C or CHM X046 and CHM X046L (4)
- HSC 2577: may substitute HUN X201 (3)
- MAC 1147: may substitute MAC X147 or MAC X311 or MAC X140 & MAC X114 (4)
- PSY 2012: may substitute PSY X012 (3)
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their general education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
- Students must follow a Program of Study approved by the student's faculty advisor.
- Students must receive a grade of "C" ("S" if applicable) or better on all courses within the program curriculum.
- A student must perform at the appropriate level of generic abilities and criteria as outlined in the Professional Behaviors Plan.
Back to Previous Page