The program is designed to prepare graduates to work in applied settings with children and youth, including human service agencies, child care settings, and related positions in business, industry, and government.
Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.0 on all hours attempted.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each couse and a GPA of 2.0 is required.
Required Courses (48 credits)
EDF 4112 Child Growth and Development (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4424 Measurement Eval in Classroom (3)
EDG 3323 Professional Teaching Practice (3)
EDG 4371 Creative & Affective Develpmnt (3)
EDG 4942 Field Experience:CYS (3)
EDG 4940 Practicum: Child/Youth Studies (9)
EDG 4936 Seminar: Child/Youth Studies (3)
EEC 3268 Play Development & Assessment (3)
EEC 4307 Cognitive Exp for Yng Children (3)
EEX 4201 Young Children with Spec Needs (3)
LAE 4416 Children’s Literature (3)
TSL 3080 Foundations of ESOL (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
Select one of the following concentrations:
RED 4310 Early Literacy Learning (3)
Electives in the Concentration (6 hrs)
Any education course at the 1000-4999 level with the following prefixes: EDE, EDF, EDG, EDP, EEC, EEX, EME, LAE, MAE, RED or SCE or MAN 3025, MAN 3301, MAN 3801 or other course approved by advisor.
RED 4344 Methods of Teaching Reading (3)
Electives in the concentration (6 hrs)
Any education course at the 1000-4999 level with the following prefixes: EDE, EDF, EDG, EDP, EEC, EEX, EME, LAE, MAE, RED, or SCE or MAN 3025, MAN 3301, MAN 3801, or other course approved by advisor.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language requirement.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement.
- The COE limits the transfer of coursework into its upper-division, undergraduate programs. To be considered, courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of C and no more than five years prior to the date of entry into the College of Education undergraduate program.
- Students must see their academic advisor for an approved plan of study.
- In order to be placed in a Final Internship, students must have passed all program courses except EDG 4936 which must be taken concurrently with EDG 4940.
Back to Previous Page