The program is designed to prepare graduates to work in applied settings with children and youth, including human service agencies, child care settings, and related positions in business, industry, and government.
Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.0 on all hours attempted.
FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites
- Required Courses in the Major (24 hrs)
- EDF 3201 Diversity of Human Experience (6)
- EDF 4424 Measurement and Evaluation in the Classroom (3)
- EDG 3201 Professional Studies (6)
- EDG 4371 Creative and Affective Experiences (3)
- EDG 4936 Seminar: Child/Youth Studies (3)
- EDG 4940 Practicum: Child/Youth Studies (6)
- EDG 4942 Field Experience: CYS (3)
- EEC 3268 Play Development and Assessment (3)
- EEC 4307 Cognitive Experiences for Young Children (3)
- EEX 4201 Young Children with Special Needs (3)
- LAE 4416 Children's Literature (3)
- TSL 4520 Sec. Lang. Acquis. Comm. & Culture (3)
- Concentration Requirements
- Select one of the following concentrations:
- Child Studies
- RED 4310 Early Literacy Learning (3)
- Electives in the Concentration (9 hrs)
- Any education course at the 1000-4999 level with the following prefixes: EDE, EDF, EDG, EDP, EEC, EEX, EME, LAE, MAE, RED or SCE or MAN 3025, MAN 3301, MAN 3801 or other course approved by advisor.
- Youth Studies
- RED 4344 Methods of Teaching Reading (3)
- Electives in the concentration (9 hrs)
- Any education course at the 1000-4999 level with the following prefixes: EDE, EDF, EDG, EDP, EEC, EEX, EME, LAE, MAE, RED, or SCE or MAN 3025, MAN 3301, MAN 3801, or other course approved by advisor.
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
- Additional electives may be required to reach a minimum of 120 credit hours for the baccalaureate degree.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A grade of C or higher in all College of Education courses with an overall GPA of 2.0 in all College of Education coursework and in all coursework attempted.
- A minimum of 48 upper division hours (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 hours at FGCU.
- Satisfy foreign language requirement.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The COE limits the transfer of coursework into its upper-division, undergraduate programs. To be considered, courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of C and no more than five years prior to the date of entry into the College of Education undergraduate program.
- Students must see their academic advisor for an approved plan of study.
- In order to be placed in a Final Internship, students must have passed all program courses except EDG 4XXX (4936) which must be taken concurrently with EDG 4XXX (4940), Final Child & Youth Studies practicum..
Back to Previous Page