The B.A. in Elementary Education is designed to prepare students for teaching in Florida's elementary schools and for certification by the Florida Department of Education as elementary school teachers (K through grade six). The program of study includes coursework and extensive experience in elementary school settings throughout the FGCU five-county service area (Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, and Lee) to enable students to integrate theory with teaching practice.
Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test or Praxis I. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy Communication and Computation Skills.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites (variable)*
- EDF 2005* Intro to Teach Prof (3)
- EDF 2085* Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
- EME 2040* Intro to Tech For Educ (3)
In addition to EDF 2085, a minimum of 6 hrs with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate of Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
*Courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better.
- Required Courses in the Major (63 hrs)
The following course sequence assumes a fall start with full-time attendance. Students beginning in spring or summer or attending part-time should see a College of Education Advisor.
- Block 1
- EDF 3201 Diversity of Human Experience (6)
- EDG 3201 Professional Studies (6)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (see below)
- Block 2
- EDG 4371 Creative & Affective Development (3)
- MAE 4310 Math Content & Processes (3)
- RED 4310 Early Learning Literacy (3)
- SCE 4310 Science Methods (3)
- TSL 4520 Second Language Acquisition, Communication & Culture (3)
- Block 3
- LAE 4416 Children's Literature (3)
- RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
- SSE 4343 Social Sciences & Humanities (3)
- Block 4
- EDE 4304 Integrated Mathematics & Science (3)
- EDE 4942 Integrated Field Exp.: Elementary Ed (3)
- EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
- TSL 4340 Methods, Curriculum & Instructional Effectiveness (3)
- Select one of the following:
- EEC 3268 Play, Development & Assessment (3)
- EEC 4307 Cognitive Exp. for Young Children (3)
- Block 5
- EDG 4937 Sr Seminar- Initial Teacher Prep (3)
- EDE 4940 Internship: Elementary Ed (9)
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
Additional electives may be required to reach a minimum of 126 credit hours for the baccalaureate degree.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 126 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A grade of C or higher in all College of Education (COE) courses with an overall GPA of 2.5 in all COE coursework and in all coursework attempted.
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE), including the Professional Education examination, the subject area examinations and the General Knowledge Test (the CLAST will meet this requirement if passed prior to July 1, 2002.)
- A minimum of 48 upper division hours (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 32 of the last 60 hours at FGCU.
- Satisfy foreign language admission requirement.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement: www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Complete all components of the Teacher Effectiveness Portfolio at the Proficient performance level.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The COE limits the transfer of coursework into its upper-division, undergraduate programs. To be considered, courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of C and no more than five years prior to the date of entry into the College of Education undergraduate program.
- EDF 2005: may substitute EDF X005 (3)
- EDF 2085: may substitute EDF X085 (3)
- EME 2040: may substitute EME X040 (3)
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their general education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
- In order to register for courses in Block 2, students must be admitted to the College of Education (see Program Admission Requirements).
- In order to be placed in the Block 4 Integrated Field Experience, students must pass the FTCE Professional Education Test.
- In order to be placed in a Block 5 Final Internship, students must have taken the FTCE Subject Area Exam.
- Students will not graduate until all required tests of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam are passed.
Back to Previous Page