The B.A. in Secondary Education offers three majors:
- Biology (6-12 grades)
- Mathematics (6-12 grades)
- Social Science (6-12 grades)
Field experiences are central to the Secondary Education program and commence in the first semester with increasing involvement throughout the program.
Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test or Praxis I. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy General Education requirements.
- Satisfy Communication and Computation Skills.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites (variable)*
- EDF 2005* Intro toTeach Prof (3)
- EDF 2085* Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
- EME 2040* Intro to Tech for Educ (3)
- In addition to EDF 2085, a minimum of 6 hrs with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate of Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
- Other program prerequisites:
- MAC 2311 Calculus I (4 hrs)
- MAC 2312 Calculus & Analytic Geometry II (4 hrs)
- Elective in Mathematics (4 hrs) [MAC 2313 recommended]
In addition to required program prerequisites, students are strongly encouraged to complete MAP 2302 - Differential Equations prior to being admitted into the major.
*Courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better.
- Courses in the Major (45 hrs)
The following course sequence assumes a fall start with full-time attendance. Students beginning in spring or summer or attending part-time should see a College of Education Advisor.
- EDF 3201 Diversity of Human Experience (6)
- EDG 3201 Professional Studies (6)
- MAS 3105 Linear Algebra (3)
- TSL 4520 Second Language Acquisition, Communication & Culture (3)
- MAE 4152 Math Methods: 6-12 (3)
- MHF 2191 Mathematical Found. (3)
*Subject Area Elective
- RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium
- MAE 4942 Integrated Field Experience: Secondary Ed/Math (3)
- EDF 4470 Assessment & Action Research (3)
*Subject Area Elective
*Subject Area Elective
- MAE 4936 Senior Seminar: Mathematics Ed (3)
- MAE 4940 Internship: Mathematics Ed (9)
- Subject Area Electives* (13 hrs)
Select from the following with approval of the college academic advisor:
- MAA 4226 Analysis I (3)
- MAD 3107 Discrete Mathematics (3)
- MAD 4401 Numerical Analysis (3)
- MAP 3161 Mathematics for Science and Engineering (4)
- MAP 3162 Probability and Statistics (4)
- MAP 3163 Operations Research I (3)
- MAS 4301 Abstract Algebra I (3)
- STA 4234 Into. to Regression Analysis (3)
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
Additional electives may be required to reach a minimum of 120 credit hours for the baccalaureate degree.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A grade of C or higher in all College of Education (COE) courses with an overall GPA of 2.5 in all COE coursework and in all coursework attempted.
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE), including the Professional Education examination, two subject area examinations (normally completed during Block 4 and Block 5) and the General Knowledge Test (the CLAST will meet this requirement if passed prior to July 1, 2002.)
- A minimum of 48 upper division hours (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 hours at FGCU.
- Satisfaction of foreign language admission requirement.
- Satisfaction of Service Learning requirements: www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Completion of all components of the Teacher Effectiveness Portfolio at the Proficient performance level.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The COE limits the transfer of coursework into its upper-division, undergraduate programs. To be considered, courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of C and no more than five years prior to the date of entry into the College of Education undergraduate program.
- EDF 2005: may substitute EDF X005 (3)
- EDF 2085: may substitute EDF X085 (3)
- EME 2040: may substitute EME X040 (3)
- MAC 2311: may substitute MAC X311 (4)
- MAC 2312: may substitute MAC X312 (4)
- Math Elective: may substitute MAC XXXX (4) or MTG XXXX (4) or MAS XXXX (4)
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their general education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
- In order to register for courses in Block 2, students must be admitted to the College of Education (see Program Admission Requirements).
- In order to be placed in the Block 4 Integrated Field Experience, students must pass the FTCE Professional Education Test.
- In order to be placed in a Block 5 Final Internship, students must have taken the FTCE Subject Area Exam.
- Students will not graduate until all required tests of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam are passed.
Back to Previous Page