Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
FGCU Course: EDF 2085 Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX085
FGCU Course: EME 2040 Intro to Tech in Educ. (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EMEX040
FGCU Course: AMH 2010 US History to 1877 (3)
Acceptable Substitute: AMHX010
FGCU Course: AMH 2020 US History Since 1877 (3)
Acceptable Substitute: AMHX020
FGCU Course: POS 2041 American Nat’l Government (3)
Acceptable Substitute: POSX041
FGCU Course: Any course with the prefix ANT, ECO, GEA, PSY, SYG
Acceptable Substitute: ANTXXXX or ECOXXXX or GEAXXXX or PSYXXXX or SOCXXXX
In addition to EDF 2085, a minimum of 6 hrs with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate of Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (39 credits)
EDF 3132 Adolescent Growth & Dev (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4070 Integrat Except Stud in Gen Ed (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
SSE 4153 Social Science Methods 6-12 (3)
SSE 4940 Internship in Soc. Science Ed (9)
SSE 4941 Integr Field Exper:Soc Science (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur, and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
Restricted Electives (18 credits)
Select from the following with approval of the college academic advisor:
Upper level courses (3000-4999) from the social sciences disciplines (prefixes of AMH, ANT, ECO, HIS, POS, PSY, SOP, SYD, SYG, SYO, and SYP).
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language admission requirement.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement: www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Candidates must complete all coursework prior to beginning their Level II Internship.
- Candidates must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam and have attempted the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning their Level II Internship.
Back to Previous Page