The B.S. in Computer Information Systems (CIS) prepares students for IS development and support careers in business and government. Graduates of this program are not only technically competent, but understand how to use information technology to facilitate business success. Courses include projects designed to enhance critical thinking, oral and written communications, and teamwork skills. Students are introduced to ethical and global issues via the study of CIS business cases. Typical employment for graduates includes systems analysis, system administration, and application or web development.
Program Admission Requirements
Admission to Florida Gulf Coast University does not guarantee acceptance into a Lutgert College of Business (LCOB) major. Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal acceptance into a LCOB major. As pre-majors, students may enroll in lower level (1000-2999) courses to satisfy General Education and Common Prerequisite requirements; lower level electives; and Business Common Core courses, except GEB 4890, if course prerequisites are met. Pre-majors may not enroll in upper level (3000-4999) courses for the major.
The following criteria must be met prior to formal acceptance as a LCOB major:
- Admission to FGCU as a degree seeking student in good academic standing.
- Attendance at a Freshman Transition Workshop or Transfer Student Orientation session.
- Completion of all Common Prerequisites with a minimum grade of C or higher in each course.
Note: Students must earn a grade of B or higher in ACG 2021, ACG 2071, and CGS 1100 in order to enroll in certain upper division accounting courses.
- Completion of 50 earned hours of courses with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: ACG 2021 Intro to Financial Acctg. (3)
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX021 or ACGX022 or (ACGX001 and ACGX011)
FGCU Course: ACG 2071 Intro to Managerial Acctg.(3)
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX071 or ACGX301
FGCU Course: CGS 1100 Computer Software and Technology (3)
Acceptable Substitute: CGSX100 or CGSX100C or CGSX530 or CGSX570 or CGSX060 or CGSX531 or CGSX000 or ISMX000 or CGSX518
(Note: Select COP 1500 Introduction to Computer Science for Computer Programming Concentration)
FGCU Course: ECO 2013 Principles of Macro Economics (3)
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX013
FGCU Course: ECO 2023 Principles of Micro Economics (3)
Acceptable Substittue: ECOX023
FGCU Course: MAC 2233 Elementary Calculus (3)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX233 or MACX230 or MACX311
(Note: Select MAC 2311 Calculus I for Computer Programming Concentration)
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3)
Acceptable Substitue: STAX023 or STAX122 or QMBX100
- Business Common Core (27 credits)
BUL 3130 Legal & Ethical Environment of Bus (3)
FIN 3403 Business Finance (3)
ISM 3011 Information Systems (3)
MAN 3025 Principles of Management (3)
MAR 3023 Introduction to Marketing (3)
GEB 4890 Business Strategy (capstone) (3)
ENC 3250 Professional Writing (3)
SPC 2023 Public Speaking (3)
TRA 3151 Operations Management (3)
- Required Courses in the Major (15 credits)
ISM 3113 Systems Analysis & Design (3)
ISM 3212 Database Concepts & Admin (3)
ISM 3220 Data Communications (3)
ISM 3232 Intermed Business Programming (3)
ISM 4154 Systems Integration Strategies (3)
- Restricted Electives/Concentration (12-16 credits)
Select one of the following groupings:
- Restricted Electives (No concentration noted on transcript)
ISM 3230 Intro Business Programming (3)
QMB 3302 Business Analytics (3)
Select an additional 6 credits of approved upper division (3-4000 level) electives in Computer Information Systems from the following list: ISM 3221; 3238; 3400; 4094; 4243; 4332; 4905; 4930; 4941; or TRA 3132. ( Other 3-4000 level courses with a Computer Information Systems focus may be considered to meet the elective requirement - see LCOB advisor.)
- Computer Programming Concentration:
MAC 2312 Calculus II (4)
COP 2006 Introduction to Programming (3)
COP 2001 Programming Methodology (3)
COP 3003 Object-Oriented Programming (3)
Select one of the following:
CAP 4830 Simulation & Modeling (3)
CEN 3031 Software Engineering (3)
ISM 3238 Advanced Business Programming (3)
ISM 4243 Intro Computer Graphics Pgm (3)
ISM 4941 Practicum (3)
QMB 3302 Business Analytics (3)
See college advisor for a list of additional approved upper division (3000-4000 level) electives in Computer Information Systems.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits, with at least 48 hours at the upper division (3-4000 level).
- Earn a Grade of C or higher in the Common Prerequisites, Business Common Core, Required Courses in the Major, and Restricted Electives.
- Complete the last 30 credits of business courses at FGCU.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credits of courses in the major at FGCU.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect
- Complete the standardized business knowledge assessment exam administered during the last semester in GEB 4890 Business Strategy
Back to Previous Page