The B.S. in Finance develops the analytical and behavioral skills necessary for success in dynamic and diverse domestic and global financial environments. Students are introduced to the theory, concepts, applications, institutional environment, and analytical tools essential for proper decision making. Courses are designed to provide students with an understanding of the relationship between business finance and the economic system in the context of the management decision-making process. The appropriate use of technology, new organizational structures, entrepreneurial thinking, and international awareness is integrated throughout the program. The goal of the finance program is to impart knowledge and competence in finance that will prepare students for entry-level and leadership positions in public and private organizations such as financial management, banking, investments, and real estate.
Program Admission Requirements
Admission to Florida Gulf Coast University does not guarantee acceptance into a Lutgert College of Business (LCOB) major. Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal acceptance into a LCOB major. As pre-majors, students may enroll in lower level (1000-2999) courses to satisfy General Education and Common Prerequisite requirements; lower level electives; and Business Common Core courses, except GEB 4890, if course prerequisites are met. Pre-majors may not enroll in upper level (3000-4999) courses for the major.
The following criteria must be met prior to formal acceptance as a LCOB major:
- Admission to FGCU as a degree seeking student in good academic standing.
- Attendance at a Freshman Transition Workshop or Transfer Student Orientation session.
- Completion of all Common Prerequisites with an overall GPA of 2.4 and a minimum grade of C or higher in each course.
- Note: Students must earn a grade of B or higher in ACG 2021, ACG 2071, and CGS 1100 in order to enroll in certain upper division accounting courses.
- Completion of 50 earned hours of courses with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Select ENC 1101
- Select ENC 1102
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- Select STA 2023
- Select MAC 2233
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Select HUM 2510
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Select ECO 2013
- Select ECO 2023
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites (variable)
- ACG 2021 Intro to Financial Accounting (3)
- ACG 2071 Intro to Managerial Accounting (3)
- CGS 1100 Computer Software and Technology (3)
- ECO 2013 Principles of Macro Economics (GEP)
- ECO 2023 Principles of Micro Economics (GEP)
- MAC 2233 Elementary Calculus (GEP)
- STA 2023 Statistical Methods (GEP)
- Business Common Core (27 hrs)
- BUL 3130 Legal & Ethical Environment of Bus (3)
- FIN 3403 Business Finance (3)
- ISM 3011 Information Systems (3)
- MAN 3025 Principles of Management (3)
- TRA 3151 Operations Management (3)
- MAR 3023 Introduction to Marketing (3)
- GEB 4890 Business Strategy (capstone) (3)
- ENC 3250 Professional Writing (3)
- SPC 2023 Public Speaking (3)
- Required Courses in the Major (21 hrs)
- FIN 3244 Money & Capital Markets (3)
- FIN 3414 Financial Management (3)
- FIN 3504 Principles of Investments (3)
- FIN 4443 Financial Policy/Sr Seminar (3)
- FIN 4514 Security Analysis (3)
- Select one of the following:
- ECO 3410 Econometrics I (3)
- QMB 3302 Business Analytics (3)
- Select one of the following:
- REE 3103 Valuation of Real Property (3)
- REE 3303 Real Estate Investment Decisions (3)
- REE 4930 Special Topics in Real Estate (3)
- Restricted Electives (6 hrs)
- Select 6 hours of approved upper division (3-4999 level) electives in Economics, Finance, Real Estate, or Taxation. See college advisor for a list of approved courses.
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 120 credit hours, with at least 48 hours at the upper division (3-4000 level).
- Earn a grade of C or higher in the Common Prerequisites, Business Common Core, Required Courses in the Major, and Restricted Electives.
- Complete the last 30 credit hours of business courses at FGCU.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours of courses in the major at FGCU.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Complete the standardized business knowledge assessment exam administered during the last semester in GEB 4890 Business Strategy.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The following substitutions are acceptable for common prerequisites and must be completed with a grade of C or higher:
- ACG 2021: may substitute ACG X021 or ACG X001 and ACG X011 or ACG X022
- ACG 2071: may substitute ACG X071 or ACG X301
- CGS 1100: may substitute CGS X100C, X518, X530, X570, X060, X100, X531, X000, ISM X000, or demonstrated competency in CGS 1100
- ECO 2013: may substitute ECO X013
- ECO 2023: may substitute ECO X023
- MAC 2233: may substitute MAC X233 or MAC X230
- STA 2023: may substitute QMB X100 or STA X122 or STA X023
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their general education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
Transfer credits will ordinarily be accepted from regionally accredited institutions and evaluated for appropriate credit toward requirements in the student's degree program.
Back to Previous Page