The B.A. in Secondary Education offers three majors:
- Biology (6-12 grades)
- Mathematics (6-12 grades)
- Social Science (6-12 grades)
Field experiences are central to the Secondary Education program and commence in the first semester with increasing involvement throughout the program.
Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test or Praxis I. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy General Education requirements.
- Satisfy Communication and Computation Skills.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites (variable)*
- EDF 2005* Intro to Teach Prof (3)
- EDF 2085* Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
- EME 2040* Intro to Tech for Educ (3)
- In addition to EDF 2085, a minimum of 6 hrs with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate of Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
- Other program prerequisites:
- Biology w/lab (8 hrs)
- Chemistry w/Lab or Physics w/Lab (8 hrs)
[CHM 1045C and CHM 1046C recommended]
- MAC 2311 Calculus I (4)
*Courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better.
- Required Courses in the Major (51 hrs)
- EDF 3132 Adolescent Growth & Development (3)
- EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
- EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
- EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teacher Prep (3)
- EEX 4070 Integrating Exceptional Students in Regular Ed (3)
- PCB 3023C Cell Biology (3)
- PCB 3043C General Ecology (3)
- PCB 3063C Genetics (3)
- RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
- SCE 4330 Science Methods: 6-12 (3)
- SCE 4940 Internship Science Education (9)
- SCE 4941 Integr Field Exper: Science (3)
- TSL 4340 Meth, Curric & Instruc Effect (3)
- TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis, Comm & Culture (3)
- ZOO 3713C Vertebrate Form and Function(3)
- Restricted Electives* (6 hrs)
Select from the following with approval of the college academic advisor:
- PCB 3703C Human Physiology
- PCB 3673 Evolutionary Biology (3)
- PCB 3723C Comparative Animal Physiology (3)
Upper division courses in molecular biology, cellular biology, organismal biology, or environmental studies.
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A grade of C or higher in all College of Education (COE) courses with an overall GPA of 2.5 in all COE coursework and in all coursework attempted.
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division hours (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 hours at FGCU.
- Satisfy foreign language admission requirement.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. www.fgcu.edu/connect/
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The COE limits the transfer of coursework into its upper-division, undergraduate programs. To be considered, courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of C and no more than five years prior to the date of entry into the College of Education undergraduate program.
- EDF 2005: may substitute EDF X005 (3)
- EDF 2085: may substitute EDF X085 (3)
- EME 2040: may substitute EME X040 (3)
- Biology w/Lab: may substitute BSC X010/X010L (4) & BSC X011/X011L (4) or BSC X010C (4) & BSC X011C (4)
- Chemistry w/Lab or Physics w/Lab: may substitute Chemistry w/Lab or Physics w/Lab: may substitute CHM X045C (4) or CHM X045/X045L (4) or CHM X046C (4) or CHM X046/X046L (4) or PHY X048C (4) or PHY X048/X048L (4) or PHY X053/X053L (4) or PHY X049C (4) or PHY X049/X049L (4) or PHY X053/X053L (4) or PHY X054/X054L (4)
- MAC 2311: may substitute MAC X311 (4) or MAC X241 (4)
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their general education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
- In order to register for courses in Block 2, students must be admitted to the College of Education (see Program Admission Requirements).
- In order to be placed in the Block 4 Integrated Field Experience, students must pass the FTCE Professional Education Test.
- In order to be placed in a Block 5 Final Internship, students must have taken the FTCE Subject Area Exam.
- Students will not graduate until all required tests of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam are passed.
Back to Previous Page