- A Course to Launch Your Career -
The objective of an internship is to provide Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) students with an opportunity to enhance their academic preparation through practical, hands-on experience. An internship seeks to offer students the opportunity for professional growth within an organization through the completion of challenging and meaningful work. Students gain valuable experience that translates to high marketability upon graduation. Employers gain a valuable opportunity to review intern credentials for organizational “fit”.
Students: 5 Steps to Your Academic Internship
- Get Pre-Qualified by Your Academic Advisor
- Do you qualify? You need Junior standing (60 credit hours), an overall FGCU GPA of 2.5 and a 3.0 in your major.
- Make an appointment by calling 239-590-7302.
- LCOB Advisor signature required before moving to Step #2.
- Meet with LCOB Internship Coordinator - Amy Scott*
*Note: Pre-qualified Accounting students must contact and work with Dr. Dee Burgess at (239) 209-9123.
- Call (239) 590-7302 to set-up an appointment with Amy.
- Review professional standards, resume, LinkedIn, Dress for Success.
- Review goals for internship success and confirm learning outcomes with employer.
- LCOB Internship Coordinator and Employer signatures required before moving to Step #5.
- Find Your Internship
- Get Ready!
- Make an appointment with the FGCU Career Center for job search and interviewing assistance by calling (239) 590-7946.
- Explore www.LinkedIn.com(Social media for professionals.)
- Polish your resume.
- Get Approval from Your Faculty Internship Supervisor
- To earn academic credit you must receive faculty approval prior to starting your internship.
- Each Major has a faculty member assigned to oversee internships. Each Major requires additional academic assignments and may include Canvas modules or presentations.
- Faculty signature required before enrollment is complete.
- Submit your signed forms to the LCOB Advising Office for registration.
Thank you for thinking of FGCU!
Please review these two documents and contact Amy Scott - firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Employer FAQ Academic Internships
Employer Checklist and Sample Position
Hertz Recruiter Offers Tips
on Internship Applications
Deadlines to submit internship application documents to the LCOB:
• Fall 2016: August 12
• Spring 2017: January 4
• Summer C 2017: May 5
More Internship Information