COB Handbook - Independent Studies
- It is the responsibility of the professor to supervise the independent study, assist with developing the scope of work to be completed, evaluate the final report/project, and assign an appropriate grade.
- The level of effort or work assigned to complete the project will be equivalent to 25 to 30 hours per credit hour earned.
- A maximum of 3 credit hours of Lutgert College of Business independent study may be applied toward graduation requirements.
- Independent study is considered a Lutgert College of Business and/or major elective and may not be used in lieu of a required course.
- The student will meet with the College advisor and/or faculty member to begin the process for approval. The College advisor will explain the guidelines for an independent study and give initial approval based on the student's academic history. The student will be given the Independent Study Contract and instructed to identify a professor willing to supervise the independent study.
- With the assistance of the professor, the student will prepare an outline of the proposed research project and complete the Independent Study Contract. The proposal and contract must be submitted to the professor and the appropriate Department Chair for approval.
- When approved, the contract and proposal will be forwarded to the LCOB advising office where the course will be added to the class schedule.
- An advisor will assist the student with registration.
- Copies of the contract and proposal will be distributed to the student and professor. The original will be placed in the student's College advising file.
- Upon completion of the independent study, a copy of the graded report/project will be placed in the student's College advising file.