Library 4th Floor
1. Applicants must complete the required number of service-learning hours to be eligible:
*Hours must be completed as a current FGCU student.
2. Applicants must have ALL service-learning hours submitted to the Office of Service-Learning & Civic Engagement at least one month prior to the application deadline.
3. Applicants must be graduating at the conclusion of the semester during which they submit a completed application.
4. Applicants must complete the Application Packet; including recommendation forms contained within this application. Applicants must also complete a Personal Statement, not to exceed 1500 words in length. Please refer to the personal statement guidelines within the Application Packet.
5. Applicants must obtain one (1) letter of support from a Community Partner with which you completed hours and served in a sustained manner. This letter should share details about your commitment, strengths, specific contributions to the organization, and the impact on the organization, community, and/or student. This letter should be written by a representative from the agency who has worked alongside you and can truly speak to these qualities.
6. Applicants must obtain one (1) letter of support from a member of FGCU’s faculty or staff who has knowledge of your service to your community. This letter may come from a faculty member with whom you have worked within a service-learning course, as an RSO advisor, or any other faculty or staff member who has first-hand knowledge of and can speak to your commitment, strengths, specific contributions to the organization, and the impact on the organization, community, and/or student.
7. Students will be selected to receive the “Excellence in Civic Engagement” recognition by a Selection Committee appointed by the Office of Service-Learning & Civic Engagement. The decision of the Selection Committee is final.
8. Applications that are incomplete in any way or are submitted after the deadline established for the selection process, or are not in compliance with the requirements above, will not be forwarded to the Selection Committee for consideration.
Please note: Excellence in Civic Engagement applicants will be notified of the committee’s selection by Noon, Thursday, April 27, 2017. All correspondence with applicants will be made through the student’s Eagle Mail account.
Recipients of the Excellence in Civic Engagement stole will be recognized at a special awards ceremony on Tuesday, May 2nd, in Cohen Center room 214, 3:00 pm-5:00 pm.
CLICK FOR APPLICATION