2016-2017 Service Ambassador Program
ALL AMBASSADOR POSITIONS ARE OPEN AND WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.
Service Ambassador Program
The mission of the Service Ambassador Program is “to empower student leaders to create on and off campus community engagement and service activities/events that will engage peers in meaningful experiences.”
The Service Ambassador (SA) Program has been designed to assists students and student organizations with the creation of and participation in co-curricular service activities. The service activities will happen outside of the classroom and therefore will not be attached to any specific curriculum or learning objectives. Instead, these activities will be designed to educate students on general social issues in Southwest Florida, engage them in active, participatory events with others, and provide them the tools they need to continue service independently. All Service Ambassador Events will be planned by student leaders (SAs) and fall under one of the following categories or “Impact Areas”:
- Education and Literacy Services
- Disability Services
- Youth Development Services
- Hunger and Housing Services
- Healthcare and Elder Services
- Social Justice Issues and Services
Minimum Qualifications for Selection
- Applicant must be a Florida Gulf Coast University student enrolled full-time in an undergraduate (sophomore standing or above) or graduate degree program.
- Applicant must be able to commit to the Program for a minimum of one full academic year (fall and spring semesters).
- A 3.0 accumulative grade point average (GPA) is required, and must be maintained for continued employment.
- Applicant must be in good standing with the University (i.e., not currently on disciplinary or academic probation).
- Applicant must agree to a fingerprint screening and background check upon placement in the Program.
- Applicant must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, the ability to work independently and collaboratively, and the ability to be patient, flexible, and have a great sense of humor.
- Upon selection, all students in the Program are expected to attend mandatory ambassador trainings, orientations, and meetings.
- Fall Orientation and Training will take place on Monday, August 15, 2016 and Tuesday, August 16, 2016 from 9am to 5 pm.
- Upon selection, all students in the Program are expected to plan and execute two (2) community engagement, service-learning, and/or outreach events per semester (either on or off campus). Certain Impact Areas have existing events/programs that you will be responsible for planning and implementing (see Impact Area Overviews for more information).
- Upon selection, students in Program must serve as a positive representative of the University, the Department Undergraduate Studies, the Office of Service-Learning & Civic Engagement, and themselves.
If you have questions please contact:
Katharine O'Connor at (239) 590-7026 or email@example.com
Lisa Paige at (239) 590-7015 or firstname.lastname@example.org