Incident Investigation Procedures
The supervisor at the activity or location where the accident occurred is responsible for performing an acident investigation. Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) and the University Police Department are available to assist with investigations as requested. Investigate all incidents, accidents, injuries and occupational diseases using the following investigation procedures:
- Implement temorary control measures to prevent any further injuries to employees.
- Review the equipment, operations, and processes to gain an understanding of the accident situation.
- Nearly all workplace injuries occur due to a combination of an unsafe act in the presence of an unsafe condition. For example, a slick, wet road after a summer dowpour is a condition. Driving too fast under this condition is an example of an unsafe act. Identifying both the unsafe act and the unsafe condition can prevent similar incidents in the future.
- Identify and interview each witness and any other person who might provide clues to the cause of the incident.
- Provide recommendations to prevent future occurrences.
- Complete the form for workplace injuries to employees, or
- Complete the form for injuries to students, visitors, and non-work related incidents.
Mail completed report via e-mail to EH&S.
Call 239-590-1414239-590-1414 with any questions.