Environmental Health & Safety along with the local Fire Inspectors and State Fire Marshals perform regular safety and fire inspections throughout the University. During inspections we've discovered a few unsafe conditions that frequently occur. We have them listed below. Please assist us in recognizing, correcting, and preventing future reoccurrences.
- Obstructed Hallways and Stairwells : they are not to be used for refrigerators, chairs, tables, or storage of any type of materials to allow for safe egress.
- Extension Cords : cannot be used for permanent electrical wiring. If an extension is required, it must be the type with built-in surge arrestors and cannot be plugged into each other, i.e. daisy chained.
- Electrical Cords : cannot be left lying across walkways, creating trip hazards.
- Electrical Cords : cannot have grounds broken off or have deteriorated insulation.
- Clear Pathway : must be maintained to all emergency devices, to include fire extinguishers, emergency eyewash or shower stations, electrical panels, and any type of safety switch or shunt.
- Compressed Gas Cylinders : must be secured.
- Flammable Products : must be stored in an approved flammable safety cabinet.
- Cabinet Top and Top Shelf Storage use in Buildings with Fire Sprinklers : nothing can be stored within 18 inches of the ceiling for any reason.
- Machinery : drill presses and grinders must be secured to the floor, and belt guards must remain on belt driven machinery, grinder ¼” wheel spacing, etc.