State Fire Marshal and County Department Fire Inspector Annual Inspections
Establish procedures to ensure reliability, accountability, and timely abatement of violations cited by the State Fire Marshal.
Environmental Health and Safety Department Standards and Practices
The EH&S Department will accompany the inspector(s) during inspections and re-inspections of University facilities and disseminate reports as follows:
- Document results on an inspection report and forward a copy to the responsible department or individual along with a definite, yet reasonable, deadline for correction of any discrepancies noted.
- Schedule a meeting with all involved department(s) or individual within one week of receipt of the inspection report, if deemed necessary.
- Coordinate the filing of Plans of Corrective Actions and will monitor the timely completion.
- Correct or coordinate the corrections of all violations, operational, maintenance and/or design violations as explained in Section IV a Environmental Health & Safety Inspections
- Conduct follow-up inspections or spot checks to ensure that corrections have been made.
The EH&S Department will maintain a file of outstanding corrections. These 'outstanding corrections' must have received approval from the Inspecting Authority for a delayed plan of corrective action. To delay corrective action projects that are difficult, expensive, or require major repair or modification which delays correction.
The EH&S Department will maintain files of all inspection documents in the EH&S department files.
Physical Plant Department and/or Housing and Residence Life Standards and Practices
The Physical Plant and Housing Department will cooperate with EH&S and external fire safety regulatory agency inspectors. If deemed necessary, have a representative participate in the inspection.
- Notify EH&S of all fire safety inspections conducted by external regulatory agencies without EH&S participation, and forward a copy of any inspection reports received to EH&S.
- Place a 'high priority' on correcting maintenance related fire safety discrepancies within the established deadline.
- If repairs or maintenance cannot be completed on time, submit a plan of action and contact EH&S to let them know when the repairs or maintenance will be completed.
- If the repair or maintenance is beyond the capability of Physical Plant or Housing due to complexity or cost, submit a request for correction to Facilities Planning or contract directly with an approved subcontract, copying or notifying EH&S of the plan of action.
Responsible Department or Individual Standards and Practices
The responsible department or individual will cooperate with EH&S and external regulatory agency inspectors. If deemed necessary, have a representative participate in the inspection.
- Notify EH&S of all fire safety inspections conducted by external regulatory agencies prior to or without EH&S participation, and forward a copy of any inspection reports received to EH&S.
- Within the established deadline, return a copy of the inspection report to EH&S indicating the date each discrepancy was corrected, and/or submitted a plan of action with a time table for correction of outstanding discrepancies.
- Submit a request for extension anytime a deadline cannot be met which explains why the deadline cannot be met.
- Contact Physical Plant to have work orders issued to correct deficiencies which require building repair or maintenance. Indicate that the repair or maintenance needed is a safety discrepancy to prioritize the request.
- Send a copy of the work order confirmation to EH&S.
- Notify EH&S via email upon completion, for a follow up inspection.
Facilities Planning Standards and Practices
Facilities Planning will cooperate with EH&S and external regulatory agency fire safety inspectors. Though seldom warranted if a repair or maintenance is beyond the capability of the Physical Plant due to complexity or cost, Facilities Planning must:
- Develop plans, find appropriate funding, and initiate a project to correct safety discrepancies.
- Notify Physical Plant, EH&S and the affected department of the plan of action and the time line for completion.