Establish procedures to ensure reliability, accountability, and timely abatement of violations cited by the State Fire Marshal.
Environmental Health and Safety Department Standards and Practices
The EH&S Department will accompany the inspector(s) during inspections and re-inspections of University facilities and disseminate reports as follows:
- Document results on an inspection report and forward a copy to the responsible department or individual along with a definite, yet reasonable, deadline for correction of any discrepancies noted.
- Schedule a meeting with all involved department(s) or individual within one week of receipt of the inspection report, if deemed necessary.
- Coordinate the filing of Plans of Corrective Actions and will monitor the timely completion.
- Correct or coordinate the corrections of all violations, operational, maintenance and/or design violations as explained in Section IV a Environmental Health & Safety Inspections
- Conduct follow-up inspections or spot checks to ensure that corrections have been made.
The EH&S Department will maintain a file of outstanding corrections. These 'outstanding corrections' must have received approval from the Inspecting Authority for a delayed plan of corrective action. To delay corrective action projects that are difficult, expensive, or require major repair or modification which delays correction.
The EH&S Department will maintain files of all inspection documents in the EH&S department files.
Physical Plant Department and/or Housing and Residence Life Standards and Practices
The Physical Plant and Housing Department will cooperate with EH&S and external fire safety regulatory agency inspectors. If deemed necessary, have a representative participate in the inspection.
- Notify EH&S of all fire safety inspections conducted by external regulatory agencies without EH&S participation, and forward a copy of any inspection reports received to EH&S.
- Place a 'high priority' on correcting maintenance related fire safety discrepancies within the established deadline.
- If repairs or maintenance cannot be completed on time, submit a plan of action and contact EH&S to let them know when the repairs or maintenance will be completed.
- If the repair or maintenance is beyond the capability of Physical Plant or Housing due to complexity or cost, submit a request for correction to Facilities Planning or contract directly with an approved subcontract, copying or notifying EH&S of the plan of action.
Responsible Department or Individual Standards and Practices
The responsible department or individual will cooperate with EH&S and external regulatory agency inspectors. If deemed necessary, have a representative participate in the inspection.
- Notify EH&S of all fire safety inspections conducted by external regulatory agencies prior to or without EH&S participation, and forward a copy of any inspection reports received to EH&S.
- Within the established deadline, return a copy of the inspection report to EH&S indicating the date each discrepancy was corrected, and/or submitted a plan of action with a time table for correction of outstanding discrepancies.
- Submit a request for extension anytime a deadline cannot be met which explains why the deadline cannot be met.
- Contact Physical Plant to have work orders issued to correct deficiencies which require building repair or maintenance. Indicate that the repair or maintenance needed is a safety discrepancy to prioritize the request.
- Send a copy of the work order confirmation to EH&S.
- Notify EH&S via email upon completion, for a follow up inspection.
Facilities Planning Standards and Practices
Facilities Planning will cooperate with EH&S and external regulatory agency fire safety inspectors. Though seldom warranted if a repair or maintenance is beyond the capability of the Physical Plant due to complexity or cost, Facilities Planning must:
- Develop plans, find appropriate funding, and initiate a project to correct safety discrepancies.
- Notify Physical Plant, EH&S and the affected department of the plan of action and the time line for completion.