Program Educational Objectives and Student Outcomes
The Department of Environmental and Civil Engineering has formulated the following Program Educational Objectives, which describe the career and professional accomplishments that our B.S.C.E degree program is preparing graduates to achieve. In support of these objectives, the faculty have also identified the following Student Outcomes, which describe what students are expected to know and be able to do by the time of graduation.
Program Educational Objectives
The Civil Engineering Program of the Department of Environmental and Civil Engineering in the U.A. Whitaker College of Engineering at Florida Gulf Coast University will produce graduates who:
- Pursue lifelong learning through continuing education and/or advanced degrees in civil engineering or other related fields,
- Progress to professional registration, and
- Continue to develop professionally through participation in professional organizations and/or participation in professional development activities in the industry.
Graduates of the civil engineering program will attain:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering,
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data,
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability,
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams,
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems,
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility,
- an ability to communicate effectively,
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context,
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning,
- a knowledge of contemporary issues, and
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.