DETERMINATION: INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR VERSUS EMPLOYEE STATUS
As many of you in the Campus Community may know, we have been working on some process changes where the University is dealing with Independent Contractor/Employee Classification issues. We would like to assure the campus community that the changes being made are necessary and important to assist the University with bringing our policies and procedures into compliance with Federal and State regulations. After you review these procedures, should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Christine Lloyd in the Human Resources Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 239-590-1425.
The following is provided for your assistance for use when your department anticipates hiring a person as an Independent Contractor or OPS Employee:
- When a department needs to have services provided and feels strongly that the person they wish to hire should be considered an Independent Contractor, the department must complete the Independent Contractor Checklist Form to determine the classification status.
- To expedite the review and determination process, the department should:
- Sign and date the checklist.
- Scan the checklist and forward by email to email@example.com or fax it to the Human Resources Department at (239)590-1011.
- The checklist must include a complete description of the services being requested.
- Departments may attach any additional information or comments they feel may support their position to have an Independent Contractor Agreement issued. Also, please indicate:
i. whether or not there are any intentions of ever hiring this person as an employee.
ii. if the services are similar in nature to services currently being performed by a current or prior employee.
- If the individual is determined by Human Resources to be an Independent Contractor, Human Resources will, by email, contact the requesting department and copy Procurement Services.
- If the individual is determined by Human Resources to be an Employee, the requesting department will make arrangements with Human Resources to have the employee do their sign-on and fingerprinting.
- Human Resources Department:
Christine Lloyd, Assistant Vice President and Director. You may reach Christine at telephone number (239)590-1425, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Procurement Services:
Maryan Egan, Director. You may reach Maryan at telephone number (239)590-1134, or at email@example.com.