Policies and Procedures
Tuition Voucher - Free University Courses
- Full time FGCU employees in a Faculty, A&P or Support Personnel position and/or on approved leave with or without pay, are eligible to use the Tuition Voucher for up to six hours of credit coursework per semester at FGCU.
- The employee may assign his or her Tuition Voucher benefit entitlement to a spouse or dependent child. The benefit may be assigned to a spouse or dependent child for degree seeking, undergraduate credit courses only.
- Each employee is entitled to a Tuition Voucher benefit not to exceed a total of 6 credit hours, whether used by the employee, spouse or dependent child, or a combination of eligible users.
- Dependent Child – For the purposes of this benefit, children are considered dependent if, at the time of class registration, they are unmarried, have not reached the age of 25, and are dependent on the eligible employee for more than half of their financial support.
- Eligibility to utilize the Tuition Voucher benefit does not guarantee admission to FGCU, or to any specific program or course.
- Upon request, an employee must produce any supporting documentation requested by FGCU to show that any person noted as spouse/dependent meets the criteria set forth in this program.
- Employees may not attend courses during their established work schedule unless they have requested and been granted an alternative work schedule or appropriate use of leave from the supervisor.
- Time spent traveling to and from the University during work hours must be covered by approved annual or compensatory leave or leave without pay.
- Any individual, employee or dependent, receiving Student Financial Aid must notify the Student Financial Aid Office of their Tuition Voucher benefit.
- The value of courses taken using the tuition voucher is not used to compute the employee’s base rate of pay or regular rate of pay.
- The employee is responsible for any tax liability arising from the use of this Tuition Voucher.
- Although the University does not restrict employee enrollment in specific courses at this time, the University reserves the right to exempt specific courses from Tuition Voucher eligibility. For a list of exempted courses for a specific semester, contact the Office of the Registrar.
When applying to use the Tuition Voucher, the employee must:
1. Complete an “Employee Tuition Voucher” form.
2. Have the form approved and signed by the appropriate supervisor.
3. Complete admissions and registration requirements for the user of the voucher.
4. Voucher user(s) must register for courses.
5. Any individual receiving Student Financial Aid must notify the Student Financial Aid Office of the use of a Tuition Voucher.
6. In the event the 6 hours are being split between more than one individual, only one form showing all users shall be prepared for submission to the Cashier’s Office.
7. Submit the fully approved original copy of the Employee Tuition Voucher form to the Cashier's Office by the published last day to pay fees.
1. The appropriate supervisor reviews the Employee Tuition Voucher form and certifies that the employee meets the full-time employment eligibility and that any conflict with the established work schedule has been approved.
2. Each department should encourage employees to develop knowledge, skills, and abilities that improve their work performance and the quality of public service.
1. The employee is responsible for completing the Employee Tuition Voucher form, meeting the University's admissions and registration requirements for the user of the benefit, and ensuring compliance with all of the Policies and Procedures applicable to this program.
2. An employee must make arrangements with his or her supervisor for any necessary time off from work in connection with courses.
3. An employee, his/her spouse or dependent child using the voucher is not permitted to use University space, personnel, equipment or supplies, except that which is provided by the university as part of the course.
4. Upon request, an employee must produce any supporting documentation requested by FGCU to show that any person noted as spouse/dependent meets the criteria set forth in this program.
The following holidays shall be observed by the University:
Veterans' Day, November 11th
Friday after Thanksgiving
Winter Break (4 business days between Dec. 25 and Jan. 1)
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King's Birthday
Click here for the Annual Holiday Schedule.
If any of these holidays fall on a Saturday, the preceding Friday will be observed as the holiday. Likewise, if any of these holidays fall on a Sunday, the following Monday will be observed as the holiday.
Employees may also be approved to observe a State day of mourning in observance of the death of a person in recognition of services rendered to the State or nation when declared by the Governor.
Each full-time Support Personnel employee is also entitled to one "personal" holiday each fiscal year. This holiday may be used by an eligible employee beginning on July 1. The personal holiday must be taken by the employee before the close of business on June 30 each year or it will be forfeited. Part-time employees are entitled to a pro-rated share of the personal holiday, based on their percentage of full time appointment.
Determine if employee can observe the holiday or if the needs of the department require that an employee be assigned to work on the day the holiday is observed. If a Support Personnel employee is assigned to work on a holiday, the department must insure that the employee is appropriately credited with special compensatory leave. Faculty and A&P shall be provided with a delayed holiday.
Review Support Personnel Attendance and Leave Report and credit employee for observance of the holiday or credit employee with special compensatory leave.
Announce any other workday that is to be observed as a holiday or day of mourning as designated by the Governor.
IDENTIFICATION CARDS - EMPLOYEES
The University will provide all Faculty, A&P, Support Personnel and OPS employees with an identification card.
Eagle ID Card Office
Issues Photo ID card for all new Faculty, A&P, Support Personnel and OPS employees.
Eff. 12/96; Rev. 05/09