The 2010 Florida Legislature made significant changes to the State Basic Life program which go into effect January 1, 2011. In response to these changes, the University has initiated an Invitation to Negotiate (ITN) process to request rate proposals from Life Insurance providers. Provided the ITN process is successful, the University anticipates providing 100% University paid life insurance effective January 1, 2011 to all Faculty and Staff (employees) equal to 1.5 times salary. The FGCU Basic Life Plan would reinstate the level of coverage the State will no longer offer as of December 31, 2010.
Because the ITN is still in process, there is no guarantee that the FGCU Basic Life Plan will be in effect on January 1 2011. Therefore, we encourage employees to review and consider the State Optional Life Plan. It is important to note that enrollment in the State Optional Life Plan is only available to current employees during the Open Enrollment period; however, because premiums for State Optional Life are paid on a post-tax basis , employees may cancel coverage at any time during the year. Please note that Open Enrollment ends Friday, October 22, 2010 at 5:30 pm.
As a reminder, below is a summary of the plan changes to the State Group Life insurance program.
State Basic Life Plan Changes for 2011:
• The current Basic Life plan which provides a benefit level equal to 1.5 times salary will end on December 31, 2010.
• Effective January 1, 2011 the Basic Life plan will change to a flat amount of $25,000 for all employees and will be 100 percent paid for by the University for full-time employees. This change is a significant decrease in benefit for current participants.
• Part time employees who are not currently enrolled in the Basic Life plan will not be automatically enrolled. Part time employees can enroll during the Open Enrollment period and will pay premiums on a prorated basis.
State Optional Life Plan Changes for 2011:
• The current plan is one to five times annual salary with a maximum of $500,000. During the Open Enrollment Period all employees may elect one to seven times their annual salary, to a maximum of $1,000,000.
• Special Open Enrollment Opportunity – all employees who are not currently participating in the Optional Life Plan may elect one times their annual salary on a guaranteed issue basis. No proof of good health is required. Elections over one times annual salary will require proof of good health.
• Current participants in the Optional Life Plan may increase their current Optional coverage by one multiple of their
annual salary up to the lesser of 5 times annual salary or $500,000. Requests in excess of a one level increase will
require proof of good health.
Open Enrollment is an important time of year and we encourage you all to take the time to carefully review all your benefits and make the choices that best fit your and your family’s needs.
How to Make Open Enrollment Changes
Online enrollment - the People First online system at https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/ will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
People First Service Center Enrollment - Service Center Specialists can be reached at 1-866-663-4735 Monday through Friday 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM, Eastern Time.
Paper Enrollment Forms – You can request forms from a People First Service Center Specialist by calling 1-866-663-4735 or access enrollment forms online on the People First website or the MyBenefits website.
REMINDER– OPEN ENROLLMENT ENDS FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2010 at 5:30 pm