This seminar is for anyone who needs to communicate in writing and would like to do it as simply and effectively as possible. You will learn basics of business writing including: how to organize, how to effectively use words and different types of documents, and how to get your message through clearly and concisely. Beyond basics you will learn how to convey the right tone, how to get what you need from your reader, and how to use visual tools in correspondence. You will leave this session with tools you can use immediately to improve your performance.
- Organization - Learn three simple steps to help make your documents clear and concise.
- Plain Language(.gov!) - Learn the value and the secrets of Plain Language (and the website that serves as a resource for all).
- Using Words - Examine several types of words and how they are used – and abused.
- Grammar and Punctuation - Learn how to avoid the most common errors.
- Document Types - Match your writing purpose to the type of document you need. Review specific ways to improve e-mail, memos, reports, and other documents.
- Software Tips - Learn how to use features of word processing software to help improve your writing.