FGCU Faculty-Led Study Abroad
FGCU Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs (FLSA) – FLSA programs are short-term (generally 2 weeks to 2 months) study abroad trips led by FGCU faculty. FLSA programs are designed to study a specific topic. Students earn direct FGCU academic credit for the course. The FGCU International Services Office coordinates applications for and serves as a central hub for information regarding FLSA programs.
Faculty Led Study Abroad Programs for 2016
to apply for or learn more about the following faculty led study programs log in to Horizons and locate the program in the "search programs" tab:
Ghana: Global Health Issues, Human Rights and Social Justice (flyer)
- Dates: July 11th, 2016 to July 28th, 2016
- This program is designed to examine Health behaviors, Human Rights and Social Justice in Ghana, Africa
- Leaders: Dr. Belinda Bruster (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Loureen Downes
- Courses SOW 4700 and SOW 6700, 3 credits each
- program fees: $3925 (includes airfare, accommodations, meals, excursions, ground transportatin), does not include tuition
- DEADLINE TO APPLY - 1/22/2016
Croatia: Museum Studies and Cultural Heritage Management (flyer)
- Dates: May 21st, 2016 to June 10th, 2016
- Students will be collaborating with the National Museum in Zadar in creating exhibit material and film to be used at the museum.
- Leaders: Dr. Noemi Creagan (email@example.com) and Dr. Katherine Wahlberg (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Courses: ISS 4955 and ANT4930, 3 credits each
- Program fees: $3155 (includes airfare, accommodation, most meals, excursions, ground transportation), does not include tuition.
- Dates: May 17th, 2016 to June 7th, 2016
Germany and Austria: Cultural Highlights of Germany and Austria (flyer)
Spain: Discovering Spain: Language, Art, and Culture (flyer)
- Dates: June 5th, 2016 to June 26th, 2016
- This course consists of a week of a week of classes on campus and three week trip through different cities in Spain, which include: Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Avila, Salamanca, Cordoba, Alcala de Henares, Sevilla and Granada.
- Leaders: Dr. Marianela Rivera (email@example.com) and Dr. Marta Ramos (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Courses: SPN 1120 and SPN 2270, 3 credits each
Program fee: $4128 (inlcudes airfare, accommodation, ground transportation, all breakfasts and dinners, excursions and cultural visits) does not include tuition
South Africa: Past Meets Present: historical framework for wildlife conservation in Africa (Flyer)
- Dates: December 12th, 2016 to January 1st, 2017
- Past Meets Present will provide student an opportunity to explore the historical context of poaching and wildlife trafficking in southern Africa. Lectures, discussions, safari experiences and shark conservation observations will give students an insight of the struggles to protect Africa's charismatic megafauna.
- Leaders: Dr. Phillip Allman (email@example.com) and Dr. Habtamu Tegegne (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Courses: IDH 3955 (1 credit), IDH 2931 (3 credits), BSC 4052 (3 credits)
- Program fee: $8279.00 (includes airfare, accommodations, ground transport, breakfast and dinner, guide fees and entrance fees.
- program availalble for Honors Program students
Bahamas: Tropical Island Biology (flyer)
- Dates: TBD, Summer A
- This course is an intense immersion experience designed to provide a broad overview of the biology and ecology of tropical islands, using San Salvador Island, Bahamas as a model for the Caribbean basin.
- Leaders: Dr. Robert Erdman (email@example.com) and Dr. Randall Cross (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Course: BSC 3367C, 3 credits
- Program fee: $1722 (includes airfare, housing, meals, boat rental, dinner out one night), does not include tuition
- *program limited to Biology, Marine Science and Environmental Studies majors.
Brazil: Sports and the Olympics (flyer)
- dates: August 4th, 2016 to to August 16th, 2016
- leaders: Dr. Renee Jefferys (email@example.com) , Kelly Henderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Eric Shamus (email@example.com)
- This course will look at sports performance, injury prevention and treatment as it relates to performance athletics.
- Program fee: $3577 (includes airfare, ground transportation, cultural activities, several venue events, and daily breakfast) does not include tution
- *restricted to the following majors: Athletic Training, Exercise Science, and Community Health (Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy Concentrations) (including pre-major)
- DEADLINE TO APPLY - 12/22/2015
Trinidad: Carnaval, Culture and Conservation in Trinidad and Tobago (Flyer)
- dates: May 13 - 28, 2016
- leaders: Dr. Nicola Foote (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Diane Bova (email@example.com)
- This course will expore the history and culture of Trinidad and Tobago through experiential learning and cultural immersion, using Carnaval
- Program fee: $2018 (includes airfare, ground transportation, cultural activities, several venue events, and daily breakfast) does not include tution
- *limited to Honors Program students
Hungary: Study Abroad Student Teaching Experience
- Dates: April 8th to April 25th
- This will teach in immersion schools connected to the two Teacher Training Colleges in Hungary: Svent Itzvan in Jaszbereny and University of West Hungary in Sopron
- Leaders: Jackie Greene (firstname.lastname@example.org) , Diane Kratt, Jill Sherman (email@example.com) and Tunde SZecsi
- *program limited to selected College of Education majors only.
**ALL PROGRAM DEADILNES ARE 2/2/2016 UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED**
Past Faculty-Led Study Abroad programs:
Paris, London and Edinburgh Theater Adventure (Summer 2015)
Germany Language and Culture (Summer 2015)
Croatia Museum Studies (Summer 2015)
Costa Rica Research Experience (Fall 2014)
European -Germany, Austria, Czech Republic- Choir Tour (Summer 2014)
European -France and Spain- Hospitality (Summer 2014)
Singapore Sustainability (Summer 2014)
Bahamas Tropical Island Biology (Summer 2014)
Bahamas Environmental Change (Summer 2014)
Ghana Social Work (Summer 2014)
Hungary Education Internships (Spring 2014)
Caribbean Cruiseline Operations and Management (Fall 2013)
Costa Rica Food, Ecology, and Sustainability (Summer 2013)
Bahamas Tropical Island Biology (Summer 2013)
Italy Food and Wine Tourism (Summer 2013)
Guyana Essential Life (Spring Break 2013)
UK Comparative Healthcare (Spring Break 2013)
Ghana Research Experience (Winter Break 2012/2013)
Argentina Effects of Agriculture on Wetland Ecosystems (Winter Break 2012/2013)
UK Theatre (Summer 2013)
Cruiseline Operations and Management (Fall 2012)
Bahamas Tropical Island Biology (Summer 2012)
Ecuador Galapagos Islands Biology and History (Summer 2012)
Hungary Education Internships (Spring 2012)