To define the responsibilities and duties of the Physical Plant
All University Employees
The Director of the Physical Plant provides support for Auxiliary and Administrative Services Departments, Academic and Student Affairs Departments, and other campus activities and duties that can be assigned by the Vice-President for Administrative Services.
Physical Plant is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the college-owned physical facilities including the following:
- Building maintenance and repairs
- Building alterations / renovations
- Maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems
- Custodial services
- Operation of warehouse
- Maintaining roads and grounds landscaping
- Operation of Shipping & Receiving Services
- Operation of Postal Services
- Operation of Work Management Center
- Operation of Central Energy Plant which is responsible for utility systems
Maintenance fees are expensed to the appropriate budget of the Physical Plant account whenever a maintenance request incurs.
Physical Plant costs are classified into two categories: Routine Service and Special Service Requests.
The maintenance budget supports operation, maintenance, and repair of university facilities designated as Educational and General (E&G), as determined by the Vice President of Administrative Services.
Typically, these are costs not charged to a department or activity:
- Facilities operation and maintenance generally includes the building envelope (roof, wall, windows, and doors)
- Utility systems (electric, gas, water, and sewer)
- Heating and air conditioning systems
- Pest control, custodial services, and grounds maintenance
- Refuse collection
Department or College (e.g., College of Business) responsibilities include:
- Special lighting
- Sound equipment
- Laboratory equipment
- Classroom equipment
Any services required for special events or activities, to include building modification required for department equipment purchases or moves.
Other functions are handled on a case-by-case basis where the event organizer is typically financially responsible for all services rendered.