The mission of the Safe Zone Ally program at Florida Gulf Coast University is to identify, enlist, and educate allies, who will support and advocate for the LGBTIQ community.
The vision of the Safe Zone Ally program is to foster an atmosphere of support and celebration of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer/Questioning individuals within the Florida Gulf Coast University community.
- Fall 2007 - initial presentation was done through the efforts of Mateo de la Rosa, and CAPS volunteered to fund and actively promote the Safe Zone Ally Program.
- May 2008 - CAPS staff and First-Year Advising received Safe Zone training and moved forward with program development.
- June 2008 - a committee of GSA officers, Drs. Roca, Rosenthal, Harrison, and Rob Gerrick met to discuss the Safe Zone program.
- August 2008 - development of FGCU Safe Zone logo.
- September 2008 - development of logo, vision, and mission statements with guidance and endorsement of GSA.
- May 2009 - the first two training sessions occur with 20 individuals from student affairs, faculty, and residence life.
- As of Spring 2013, we have trained over 400 FGCU faculty, staff, and students!