The B.S. in Marketing prepares students for careers in marketing by developing their understanding of the social and economic forces at work in national and global markets. The marketing major focuses on enhancing the knowledge and skills that enable managers to develop and maintain successful relationships with consumers and organizational customers through the planning, implementation, and control of marketing activities. The program emphasizes the use of analytical and environmental analyses to engage in strategic market planning, market segmentation, and competitive positioning. The program also develops the strategic implications of consumer behavior, product development and branding, promotion, pricing, and distribution channels.
Program Admission Requirements
Admission to Florida Gulf Coast University does not guarantee acceptance into a Lutgert College of Business (LCOB) major. Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal acceptance into a LCOB major. As pre-majors, students may enroll in lower level (1000-2999) courses to satisfy General Education and Common Prerequisite requirements; lower level electives; and Business Common Core courses, except GEB 4890, if course prerequisites are met. Pre-majors may not enroll in upper level (3000-4999) courses for the major.
The following criteria must be met prior to formal acceptance as a LCOB major:
- Admission to FGCU as a degree seeking student in good academic standing.
- Attendance at a Freshman Transition Workshop or Transfer Student Orientation session.
- Completion of all Common Prerequisites with an overall GPA of 2.4 and a minimum grade of C or higher in each course.
- Note: Students must earn a grade of B or higher in ACG 2021, ACG 2071, and CGS 1100 in order to enroll in certain upper division accounting courses.
- Completion of 50 earned hours of courses with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Select ENC 1101
- Select ENC 1102
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- Select STA 2023
- Select MAC 2233
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Select HUM 2510
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Select ECO 2013
- Select ECO 2023
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites (variable)
- ACG 2021 Intro. to Financial Acctg. (3)
- ACG 2071 Intro. to Managerial Acctg. (3)
- CGS 1100 Computer Software and Technology (3)
- ECO 2013 Principles of Macro Economics (GEP)
- ECO 2023 Principles of Micro Economics (GEP)
- MAC 2233 Elementary Calculus (GEP)
- STA 2023 Statistical Methods (GEP)
- Business Common Core (27 hrs)
- BUL 3130 Legal & Ethical Environment of Bus (3
- FIN 3403 Business Finance (3)
- ISM 3011 Information Systems (3)
- MAN 3025 Principles of Management (3)
- TRA 3151 Operations Management (3)
- MAR 3023 Introduction to Marketing (3)
- GEB 4890 Business Strategy (capstone) (3)
- ENC 3250 Professional Writing (3)
- SPC 2023 Public Speaking (3)
- Required Courses in the Major (9 hrs)
- MAR 3503 Consumer Behavior (3)
- MAR 4613 Marketing Research (3)
- MAR 4804 Marketing Strategy (3)
- Restricted Electives (18 hrs)
Select 18 hours of approved upper division (3-4000 level) business electives, with at least 12 hours in marketing (MAR) or advertising (ADV) courses. See college advisor for a list of approved courses
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 120 credit hours, with at least 48 credit hours at the upper division (3-4000 level).
- Earn a grade of C or higher in the Common Prerequisites, Business Common Core, Required Courses in the Major, and Restricted Electives.
- Complete the last 30 credit hours of business courses at FGCU.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours of courses in the major at FGCU.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Complete the standardized business knowledge assessment exam administered during the last semester in GEB 4890 Business Strategy.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The following substitutions are acceptable for common prerequisites and must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
- ACG 2021: may substitute ACG X021 or ACG X001 and ACG X011 or ACG X022
- ACG 2071: may substitute ACG X071 or ACG X301
- CGS 1100: may substitute CGS X100C, X518, X530, X570, X060, X100, X531, X000, ISM X000, or demonstrated competency in CGS 1100
- ECO 2013: may substitute ECO X013
- ECO 2023: may substitute ECO X023
- MAC 2233: may substitute MAC X233 or MAC X230
- STA 2023: may substitute QMB X100 or STA X122 or STA X023
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their general education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
Transfer credits will ordinarily be accepted from regionally accredited institutions and evaluated for appropriate credit toward requirements in the student’s degree program.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 2/27/2015.