The B.S. in Marketing prepares students for careers in marketing by developing their understanding of the social and economic forces at work in national and global markets. The marketing major focuses on enhancing the knowledge and skills that enable managers to develop and maintain successful relationships with consumers and organizational customers through the planning, implementation, and control of marketing activities. The program emphasizes the use of analytical and environmental analyses to engage in strategic market planning, market segmentation, and competitive positioning. The program also develops the strategic implications of consumer behavior, product development and branding, promotion, pricing, and distribution channels.
Program Admission Requirements
Admission to Florida Gulf Coast University does not guarantee acceptance into a Lutgert College of Business (LCOB) major. Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal acceptance into a LCOB major. As pre-majors, students may enroll in lower level (1000-2999) courses to satisfy General Education and Common Prerequisite requirements; lower level electives; and Business Common Core courses, except GEB 4890, if course prerequisites are met. Pre-majors may not enroll in upper level (3000-4999) courses for the major.
The following criteria must be met prior to formal acceptance as a LCOB major:
- Admission to FGCU as a degree seeking student in good academic standing.
- Attendance at a Freshman Transition Workshop or Transfer Student Orientation session.
- Completion of all Common Prerequisites with a minimum grade of C or higher in each course.
- Note: Students must earn a grade of B or higher in ACG 2021, ACG 2071, and CGS 1100 in order to enroll in certain upper division accounting courses.
- Completion of 50 earned hours of courses with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: ACG 2021 Intro to Financial Acctg. (3)
Acceptable Substitue: ACGX021 or ACGX022 or (ACGX001 and ACGX011)
FGCU Course: ACG 2071 Intro to Managerial Acctg. (3)
Acceptable Substitue: ACGX071 or ACGX301
FGCU Course: CGS 1100 Computer Software and Technology (3)
Acceptable Substitue: CGSX100 or CGSX100C or CGSX530 or CGSX570 or CGSX060 or CGSX531 or CGSX000 or ISMX000 or CGSX518
FGCU Course: ECO 2013 Principles of Macro Economics (3)
Acceptable Substitue: ECOX013
FGCU Course: ECO 2023 Principles of Micro Economics (3)
Acceptable Substitue: ECOX023
FGCU Course: MAC 2233 Elementary Calculus (3)
Acceptable Substitue: MACX233 or MACX230
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3)
Acceptable Substitue: STAX023 or STAX122 or QMBX100
- Business Common Core (27 credits)
BUL 3130 Legal & Ethical Environment of Bus (3)
FIN 3403 Business Finance (3)
ISM 3011 Information Systems (3)
MAN 3025 Principles of Management (3)
TRA 3151 Operations Management (3)
MAR 3023 Introduction to Marketing (3)
GEB 4890 Business Strategy (capstone) (3)
ENC 3250 Professional Writing (3)
SPC 2023 Public Speaking (3)
- Required Courses in the Major (9 credits)
MAR 3503 Consumer Behavior (3)
MAR 4613 Marketing Research (3)
MAR 4804 Marketing Strategy (3)
- Restricted Electives (18 credits)
Select 18 credits of approved upper division (3-4000 level) business electives, with at least 12 hours in marketing (MAR) or advertising (ADV) courses. See college advisor for a list of approved courses
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits, with at least 48 credit hours at the upper division (3-4000 level).
- Earn a grade of C or higher in the Common Prerequisites, Business Common Core, Required Courses in the Major, and Restricted Electives.
- Complete the last 30 credits of business courses at FGCU.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credits of courses in the major at FGCU.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Complete the standardized business knowledge assessment exam administered during the last semester in GEB 4890 Business Strategy.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 9/24/2016.