The B.S in Economics prepares students for the job market and graduate school by providing broad and deep training in the field of economics itself and by developing one's skills in critical thinking and analysis. Economics majors develop the aptitude to operate in a wide range of business entities and to succeed in graduate programs in business, social science and law. Graduates of economics exhibit strong scores in the graduate entrance examinations across the board. Course work includes both theory and application and is designed to build and develop student assessments of the world through an economics lens. As a long-standing field in academe economics has extensive ties to mathematics, statistics, and philosophy as it pertains to economic, social, business and political environments. Students trained in economics are particularly strong candidates for jobs in business functions requiring strategic thinking, analytical skills, writing and presentations. Industries that highly value the undergraduate degree in economics include banking and finance, economic journalism, law, business, government service, and non-university teaching.
Program Admission Requirements
Admission to Florida Gulf Coast University does not guarantee acceptance into a Lutgert College of Business (LCOB) major. Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal acceptance into a LCOB major. As pre-majors, students may enroll in lower level (1000-2999) courses to satisfy General Education and Common Prerequisite requirements; lower level electives; and Business Common Core courses, except GEB 4890, if course prerequisites are met. Pre-majors may not enroll in upper level (3000-4999) courses for the major.
The following criteria must be met prior to formal acceptance as a LCOB major:
- Admission to FGCU as a degree seeking student in good academic standing.
- Attendance at a Freshman Transition Workshop or Transfer Student Orientation session.
- Completion of all Common Prerequisites with a minimum grade of C or higher in each course.
Note: Students must earn a grade of B or higher in ACG 2021, ACG 2071, and CGS 1100 in order to enroll in certain upper division accounting courses.
- Completion of 50 earned hours of courses with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: ACG 2021 Intro to Financial Acctg. (3)
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX021
FGCU Course: ACG 2071 Intro to Managerial Acctg. (3)
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX071
FGCU Course: CGS 1100 Computer Software and Technology (3)
Acceptable Substitute: CGSXXXX
FGCU Course: ECO 2013 Principles of Macro Economics (3)
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX013
FGCU Course: ECO 2023 Principles of Micro Economics (3)
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX023
FGCU Course: MAC 2233 Elementary Calculus (3)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX233
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3)
Acceptable Substitute: STAX023
- Business Common Core (27 credits)
BUL 3130 Legal & Ethical Environment of Bus (3)
FIN 3403 Business Finance (3)
ISM 3011 Information Systems (3)
MAN 3025 Principles of Management (3)
MAR 3023 Introduction to Marketing (3)
GEB 4890 Business Strategy (capstone) (3)
ENC 3250 Professional Writing (3)
SPC 2023 Public Speaking (3)
TRA 3151 Operations Management (3)
- Required Courses in the Major (12 credits)
ECO 3101 Intermediate Price Theory (3)
ECO 3203 Intermediate Macroeconomics (3)
ECO 3410 Econometrics I (3)
ECP 3009 Moral Foundations & Capitalism (capstone) (3)
- Restricted Electives (15 credits)
Select an additional 15 credits of approved upper division (3000-4000 level) Economics electives (ECO, ECP, ECS or FIN 3244 - Money and Capital Markets), from the following list: ECO 3703; 4504; 4941; ECP 3006; 3302; 3613; 3703; 3905; 3930; ECS 4013; or FIN 3244. (Other 3-4000 level courses with an Economics focus may be considered to meet the elective requirements - see LCOB advisor)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits, with at least 48 hours at the upper division (3-4000 level).
- Earn a grade of C or higher in the Common Prerequisites, Business Common Core, Required Courses in the Major, and Restricted Electives.
- Complete the last 30 credits of business courses at FGCU.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credits of courses in the major at FGCU.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect
- Complete the standardized business knowledge assessment exam administered during the last semester in GEB 4890 Business Strategy.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 3/24/2017.