Program Admission Requirements
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Complete common prerequisites with a grade of C or better.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
University Requirements (3 hrs)
FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- ENC 1101 (3)
- ENC 1102 (3)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- STA 2023 (3)
- MAC 2311 (4)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- HUM 2510 (3)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- CHM 1045C (4) or CHM 1045 (3) and CHM 1045L (1)
- CHM 1046C (4) or CHM 1046 (3) and CHM 1046L (1)
- CHM 2210C (4) or CHM 2210 (3) and CHM 2210L (1)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites
- CHM 1045C General Chemistry I w/lab (4) or CHM 1045 (3) and CHM 1045L (1) (GEP)
- CHM 1046C General Chemistry II w/lab (4) or CHM 1046 (3) and CHM 1046L (1) (GEP)
- CHM 2210C Organic Chemistry I (4) or CHM 2210 (3) and CHM 2210L (1) (GEP)
- CHM 2211C Organic Chemistry II (4) or CHM 2211 (3) and CHM 2211L (1)
- MAC 2311 Calculus I (4) (GEP)
- MAC 2312 Calculus II (4)
- PHY 2048C General Physics I w/lab (4) or PHY 2053C College Physics I w/lab (4)
- PHY 2049C General Physics II w/lab (4) or PHY 2054C College Physics I w/lab (4)
- Required Courses in the Major (31 hrs)
- BCH 3023C Biochemistry (3)
- CHM 3005C Physical Chemistry for the Life Sciences (4)
- CHM 3120C Analytical Chemistry (4)
- CHM 4139C Instrumental Analysis (4)
- CHM 4610 Inorganic Chemistry (3)
- CHM 4610L Inorganic Chemistry Lab (1)
- CHM 4931 Senior Capstone in Chemistry (3)
- CHM 4932 Chemistry Senior Seminar (3)
- IDS 3300 Foundations of Civic Engagement (3)
- ISC 3120C Scientific Process (3)
- Electives in the Major (minimum of 9 hrs)
- BCH 3025C Analytical Biochemistry (3)
- BCH 4033CAdvanced Biochemistry I (4)
- BCH 4034C Advanced Biochemistry II (4)
- CHM 3940 Internship in Chemistry (1-4)
- CHM 4080C Adv Environmental Chemistry (3)
- CHM 4220 Advanced Organic Chemistry (3)
- CHM 4300 Bio-Organic Chemistry (3)
- CHM 4671 Bioinorganic Chemistry (3)
- CHM 4930 Special Topics in Chemistry (2-4)
- CHS 4544C Forensic Chemistry (3)
Additional Electives (variable)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 120 credit hours.
- A minimum of 48 of the 120 hours must be at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C for each course used to satisfy the following categories: common prerequisites, required courses in the major, and electives in the major.
- Satisfaction of the Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Satisfaction of the residency requirement: thirty of the last sixty credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Completion of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an online Application for Graduation via Gulfline by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The following substitutes are acceptable for common prerequisites and must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- CHM 1045C: may substitute CHM X045/X045L (4) or CHM X040 (3) and CHM X041 (3) or CHM X045C (4)
- CHM 1046C: may substitute CHM X046/X046L (4) or CHM X046C (4)
- CHM 2210C: may substitute CHM X210/X210L (4) or CHM X210C (4)
- CHM 2211C: may substitute CHM X211/X211L (4) or CHM X211C (4)
- MAC 2311: may substitute MAC X311 (4) or MAC X281 (3)
- MAC 2312: may substitute MAC X312 (4) or MAC X282 (3)
- PHY 2048C: may substitute PHY X048/X048L (4) or PHY X048C (4) or PHY X053/X053L (4) or PHY X053C (4)
- PHY 2049C: may substitute PHY X049/X049L (4) or PHY X049C (4) or PHY X054/X054L (4) or PHY X054C (4)
For All Majors: Students are strongly recommended to select required lower division electives that will enhance their General Education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 4/28/2015.