The post-baccalaureate certificate program in Clinical Laboratory Science is designed for students with baccalaureate degrees in the chemical or biological sciences who seek licensure/certification in clinical laboratory science. Individuals completing the program are prepared to work in the clinical laboratory areas of chemistry, microbiology, immunohematology, hematology, and immunology. Clinical experiences at community laboratories are integrated within the curriculum and enhance your growth as professionals. The program is accredited by NAACLS (5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, 773-714-8880).
Program Admission Requirements
- Submission of a FGCU Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Application to the Office of Graduate Admissions prior to the established deadline.
- Submission of a completed application for the Clinical Laboratory Science Certificate program to the Department of Health Sciences prior to the established deadline.
- Graduation from a baccalaureate level program from an accredited college or university documented by official transcripts. All specific prerequisite courses for the major must have been completed within the past seven years.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.20 for the prerequisite course work.
- International applicants from countries where English is not the official language, are required to submit official English proficiency scores: TOEFL exam (minimum score of 550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, or 79 internet based) or IELTS exam (minimum score of 6.5).
- Complete the following prerequisite courses or the equivalent with a grade of C or above:
- Biology (with Microbiology) 16 credit hours
- Chemistry (with Organic or Biochemistry) 16 credit hours
- Mathematics 3 credit hours
- The following prerequisite courses or the equivalent are recommended:
Required Courses (39 hrs)
Minimum grade of C (not C-) is required in each course.
MLS 3038 Essentials of CLS (3)
MLS 3220 Biological Fluid Analysis (2)
MLS 4191 Molecular Diagnostics (3)
MLS 4308 Hematology/Hemostasis (3)
MLS 4404 Diagnostic Microbiology (3)
MLS 4462 Diagnostic VMP (3)
MLS 4505 Clinical Immunology (2)
MLS 4550 Immunohematology & Transfusion (3)
MLS 4627 Clinical Biochemistry (3)
MLS 4820C Clinical Biochemistry Practicu (3)
MLS 4821C Clinical Microbiology Practicu (3)
MLS 4822C Clinical Hematology Practicum (3)
MLS 4823C Clinical Immunohematology Prac (3)
MLS 4826C Clinical Immunology Practicum (2)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 39 HRS
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 6/30/2016.